Conditions in weird state

You should be OK memory wise …
But you still have not answered the question: “How often is your Vera Restarting ?”

1. You will need to turn on Debug for the PLEG device, and put the result in the VERA Log File (using the Log Command).
  2. Save/Reload Vera.
  3. Exercise the trigger that you say is not working.
  4. Send the Vera Log File (either the whole thing or at least the part from Vera Restart past the time where you demonstrated the problem)
  5. Show the PLEG STATUS immediately after this happens.
  6. Tell me which Trigger/Condition you think is having a problem.
  7. Tell me the deviceID for the triggers …

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:21, topic:183956”]You should be OK memory wise …
But you still have not answered the question: “How often is your Vera Restarting ?”

1. You will need to turn on Debug for the PLEG device, and put the result in the VERA Log File (using the Log Command).
  2. Save/Reload Vera.
  3. Exercise the trigger that you say is not working.
  4. Send the Vera Log File (either the whole thing or at least the part from Vera Restart past the time where you demonstrated the problem)
  5. Show the PLEG STATUS immediately after this happens.
  6. Tell me which Trigger/Condition you think is having a problem.
  7. Tell me the deviceID for the triggers …[/quote]

1.) Can you tell me what you mean about debug for a specific device?
3.) How do I exercise a trigger that isn’t working? Most of the time it is that lights don’t turn off when they should. FOr ones where motion doesn’t set it off, I can do that, sure.
4.) Where do I send the log file? I am not posting it on the forums.

I’ll go through all this tomorrow… At this point, I haven’t had much time to deal with it, and I am used to it working on 50/50 time. It would be nice if I could understand what exactly you are looking for… since I’d really like to narrow this down. It’s not a logic issue.

I know the reason… PLEG does not have the same status as Vera/real-life. If it did, these problems wouldn’t be happening. The reason a light isn’t turning off is because PLEG thinks it’s already off. Vera knows it’s off… I know it’s off… but PLEG doesn’t.

When you say “vera restarting”… which one are you talking about:

Last CMH Reboot: 02:54:46 Wed 10 Dec 2014
Last Vera Restart: 02:56:14 Wed 10 Dec 2014
Last Luup Restart: 22:51:33 Thu 11 Dec 2014

It’s now 12/12/2014 00:10:00

So I’ve noticed a few things over the past couple months:

• It seems to have problems with a few particular lights/switches… namely the 3 way switches that have an Aeon Smart switch installed. And a couple of other one way Cooper dimmers. Each of these has a timer set to 60 seconds or less. None of the lights that are associated with timers of 5, 10, 15 minutes have this issue.

• I can get them back in sync by going into the vera interface in Firefox and toggling them on/off. This works for a varying amount of time… hours, days, etc.

• In a sample one below:

TurnButlerPantryLightOn No !ButlerPantryLightOn and ButlerPantryMotionTripped and (!ButlerPantryLightOn; ButlerPantryMotionTripped > 10) KeepButlerPantryLightOn No (ButlerPantryLightOn and ButlerPantryMotionTripped and (ButlerPantryLightOn; ButlerPantryMotionTripped)) or TurnButlerPantryLightOn TurnButlerPantryLightOff No ButlerPantryLightOn and !TimerButlerPantry and (ButlerPantryLightOn; !TimerButlerPantry) and (!ButlerPantryLightOn; ButlerPantryLightOn > 10)

What purpose does it serve on the TurnButlerPantryLightOff one to check to see if the light is on? I mean, if the light is off, turning it off again wouldn’t hurt, right?

- It seems to have problems with a few particular lights/switches... namely the 3 way switches that have an Aeon Smart switch installed. And a couple of other one way Cooper dimmers. Each of these has a timer set to 60 seconds or less. None of the lights that are associated with timers of 5, 10, 15 minutes have this issue.
  • I can get them back in sync by going into the vera interface in Firefox and toggling them on/off. This works for a varying amount of time… hours, days, etc.

Do the switches that are giving problems report their status instantly when switched manually? If not, this may be the reason for the problem. With a longer timer, Vera will probably have time to poll the switch and get it’s status.

Wait a second… your comment got me thinking…

The aeon switches should be using instant status. I started to search around and found directions on the fact that that isn’t enabled by default. So I did:

Click on Device Options, Add configuration settings
Set the Variable to 80
1 byte dec
Desired Value to 1
Then Save

Now… everything seems to be working again! Dude, thank you so much…

[quote=“johnes, post:14, topic:183956”]Digging into this more… it seems that:

• Vera always has the correct status
  • PLEG gets confused.
  • Why that is, I don’t know, but it happens often enough that it’s beyond not convenient and I wish there was something for me to try. It’s not a logic issue, it’s a status issue, at least that is what I can tell.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d much appreciate them.[/quote]

I started a similar thread about PLEG triggers getting out of sync a month back. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,28178.0.html

And while the advice I got was to factory reset Vera and/or reinstall PLEG, I don’t think that is the right approach. I feel that that is the HA equivalent of re-installing windows on a problematic PC - it generally works, but if you really want to learn about how the system works, you would be better served to continue troubleshooting . I have finally exorcised the demon in my Vera after making dozens of changes. Once I get a few z-wave issues resolved, I plan to post all the steps I took to make the system completely stable.

These days even if I get a restart during a scene execution, I don’t have the PLEG out of sync problem. My best guess about what was causing the problem was deadlock issues. To really fix a problem like this, you have to get real familiar with the LuaUPnP.log. And I would get two processes that deadlocked and restarted the LuaUPnP.log. I think it was the deadlock scenario where PLEG had the problem on restart where the triggers would be in the wrong state. I am not exactly sure which steps I took that really resolved the deadlocks, but if your problem returns, we might be able to confirm from your logs if this is a symptom of a deadlock problem…

I’d be really interested in what you have in terms of steps. Right now, I’ve enjoyed the longest streak of it “just working” in 7 months.

The only thing that I see, I’ll post in another thread.

But tell me how you examine the log file? I’d like to be able to access it and view it and really don’t even know where to start.

If you think there is a problen with PLEG and the status report is not enough:

1. Click the Log command (send the results to it’s own file)
  2. Reload Vera, Refresh Browser.
    Now if something goes wrong you will have the Status report and a PLEG Log file to diagnose the problem.
    Do not leave it this way for a long period of time … the Log file will get big and never be deleted!

If there is a more GENERAL problem, of which PLEG is just a part … then:

1. Click the Log command (send the results to the Vera Log file)
  2. Reload Vera, Refresh Browser
    The PLEG log details will be in the Vera Log File.

You can view the Vera Log File as:
http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

But tell me how you examine the log file? I'd like to be able to access it and view it and really don't even know where to start.

See Logs. The easiest way to view LuaUPnP.log is by using the InfoViewer plugin - see InfoViewer.

Oh awesome… thanks to both of you for this.