Change device name?

Is there a way to change the iPhone Locator device name?

When I add a iPhone it is automatically named "()[devicename]". Would like to change this to the name of the person using the phone (and remove the weird () prefix).

However, when I try to change the name under Settings->Advanced->“Device params”->“name” it always revert back to the original after save.

[quote=“n0ir, post:1, topic:178766”]Is there a way to change the iPhone Locator device name?

When I add a iPhone it is automatically named "()[devicename]". Would like to change this to the name of the person using the phone (and remove the weird () prefix).

However, when I try to change the name under Settings->Advanced->“Device params”->“name” it always revert back to the original after save.[/quote]

indeed there are no ways to change the title, at least as designed. it takes the name of the device as reported by iCloud. ( so iCloud device name ).

The weird prefix (*) is to highlight which device is the root device. in the situation that you monitor multiple devices from a single iCloud account, only the root device is actually managing the polling and talking to iCloud so you can get 3 or 4 devices being updated with a single communication to iCloud made by a single root device.

The root device has more settings ( the polling settings since it is the one who does polling ) than other devices.

For the community, the root device is chosable , it is the first one listed in your right hand side list box with target iDevice name, so you control this by the move up / move down button

All this applies of course in situation where several iDevice are in a single iCloud account

Can we get this prefix changed to something else? Apparently it is invalid for a UPnP name to have this prefix. As it is now this prefix breaks EventWatcher and DataYours.

How about X as a prefix for root devices?

[quote=“asterix406, post:3, topic:178766”]Can we get this prefix changed to something else? Apparently it is invalid for a UPnP name to have this prefix. As it is now this prefix breaks EventWatcher and DataYours.

How about X as a prefix for root devices?[/quote]

can you try this version ? it should behave exactly like v1.96 but if you create a variable “RootPrefix” on your device and put what you want in it ( like the ‘X’ you propose ), it should use this instead of the “(*)” one

Thanks

I tried this. I get version 1.97 beta. I added the variable and a value and get “State Variable added”. However I don’t see this variable in the Advanced Tab afterwards and the prefix still gets set at (*)

[quote=“asterix406, post:5, topic:178766”]Thanks

I tried this. I get version 1.97 beta. I added the variable and a value and get “State Variable added”. However I don’t see this variable in the Advanced Tab afterwards and the prefix still gets set at (*)[/quote]
the variable will not be created by default. You can Create it manually using the user interface ( but make sure there is no typo in variable name ) and put your prefered prefix.

I had forgotten to put in the ServiceID when I created the variable. The variable is now created but I still get the (). Even if I manually change the name it comes back again with the () prefix.

OK I can set the variable programmatically and the code works fine. Thanks.

I haven’t figured out why setting the variable via the UI doesn’t work.

[quote=“asterix406, post:8, topic:178766”]OK I can set the variable programmatically and the code works fine. Thanks.

I haven’t figured out why setting the variable via the UI doesn’t work.[/quote]
v1.98 will be published with the fix and the variable will be created by default so visible in the advanced tab even if never set before. it will default to (*) but can be changed. however changing will require a lua reload, browser cache refresh etc…

It took me awhile to realize that was what was breaking my DataYours install. It may be a nice thing to just modify this upfront so it doesn’t affect others adversely. Not everyone has time to peruse the forums :slight_smile:

I have not found any reason that would do create that, I cannot reproduce it. I had an issue once but it was my fault as I rebooted the unit in the middle of LUA restart. you need to be careful when you change settings ( adding or removing a phone from the list of monitored devices ) as it forces the plugin to recreate or delete child devices and forces a lua restart. this is where things can get bad if a reboot/reset is happening at a bad time. but since user_data internal file is backuped 5 times ( with names fininshing by .0 .1 .2 … you can recover a corruption. it does require a SSH connection into the Vera box

I am thinking it may not actually just be the * that is causing it. My phone was initially “Airedale’s iPhone”. Instead of creating a device like this: ()Airedale’s iPhone, your app creates it like this: ()Airedale’s iPhone. I think the [b][/b] was the cause of the issue. I had to rename my phone to be: “Airedales iPhone”

To remove any risk of breaking DataYours, I also changed the (*) to just be a lower case x, so the phone now shows up as: xAiredales iPhone.

All is good from that perspective!

[quote=“airedale, post:12, topic:178766”]I am thinking it may not actually just be the * that is causing it. My phone was initially “Airedale’s iPhone”. Instead of creating a device like this: ()Airedale’s iPhone, your app creates it like this: ()Airedale’s iPhone. I think the [b][/b] was the cause of the issue. I had to rename my phone to be: “Airedales iPhone”

To remove any risk of breaking DataYours, I also changed the (*) to just be a lower case x, so the phone now shows up as: xAiredales iPhone.

All is good from that perspective![/quote]
wow thx for the info. i allways had problem with quotes in the names. either with iCloud , or with VERA. it seems it is a neverending story…
good to hear it goes ok now.