Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ Plugin

Thanks for confirming (well, I think this is what you are saying) that the v2.2 (updated 2019-07-16) will no longer work - period (because myQ has changed their website/APIs). I was driving myself crazy looking for solutions.

Despite considering myself a “tech guy”, and sometimes being able to reverse engineer code, I was happy just to figure out how to change the .lua code in my Vera (despite this being a ‘beginners’ task), so as much as I’d like to contribute back and help get things working, that’s probably (to quote ericstuberg) beyond my “technical acumen”.

I found the following websites that seem to reference the myQ API, but it sounds like the issue isn’t lack of understanding of the API, but rather lack of time to get the code updated; however, I figured I’d post just in case someone finds them useful?
GitHub - thomasmunduchira/myq-api: An updated API to interface with myQ devices (makes specific reference in some files to “Revamp module and its API as part of the myQ v5 update”)
A discussion I found via google search from openhab (which I think I remember reading someone lamenting that openhab has drawn some of the more active developers, but figure they may be going through some of the same issues and therefore the discussion could be useful to us as well?) Chamberlain MyQ Binding - #383 by cbaxter - Bindings - openHAB Community

Hopefully someone with the know how (and time) will get this working again at some point. For now, I’ll just use the myQ app or continue to use the OpenGarage code that is already in my Vera (although, my OpenGarage solution is spotty and not the most user friendly interface, which I was hoping the MyQ would resolve). I’m mainly interested in getting this working on our Vera because my wife doesn’t want to have 10 different apps to control all of the home automation gadgets we have :sweat_smile:.

Thanks to all the people out there that help make, maintain, and support the tools that make life easier for the rest of us!

Newbie to Vera trying to reverse engineer and add on to an existing Vera Z-Wave

@blacey Were you still planning to do this update it at some point? Just got a myq device and didn’t realize the plugin wasn’t working. I realize this isn’t your job so I’m happy to wait if it’s still in the pipeline.

Noticed that the MyQ plugin stopped working recently – I have 3 Liftmaster 8500C openers with the MyQ gateway that I want to use within Vera scenes. Hoping a new functional version of the plugin is posted soon. Version 2.2 is essentially non-functional, so should be removed from the Vera menu “Apps” > “Install Apps” listing…

@blacey or others - Is anyone able update this plugin to work with the new Api?

@seanh, A while ago, I decided to use HomeKit to control my doors because I got tired of “chasing a stone down a hill” as MyQ advanced/changed their not-really-public interface. So I am using the Homebridge MyQ plugin and reaping the benefits of that developer maintaining cadence with MyQ. I did not explore whether Ezlo’s Alexa/Google integration would work but that might be an option for you.

That said, if I were to invest the time and energy, it would either be a brand-new Ezlo MyQ plugin, but more likely a Reactor MS plugin that leverages the npmjs myq api module because an Ezlo MyQ plugin would have the same problems - someone one need to maintain a MyQ API module written in Lua and keep up with the MyQ API changes. Or perhaps, one of the existing Reactor MS adapters (i.e. Home Assistant) already provides MyQ integration?

I needed to get this plugin working again so I took a stab. The repo below emulates the myQ iOS app with the new PKCE OAuth flow. It works for my 4 openers but it’s super rough around the edges so expect to do some tweaking of your own. I removed a ton of dead logic in the code and several of the config flags that didn’t seem too useful anymore (GDO mode, UI7 mode, etc). This simplified a number of things. As a result this is UI7 ONLY! Nothing is tested aside from garage doors, use AT YOUR OWN RISK.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. I opened an issue on github a few days ago and just updated today.

Let me know where you’d like the commentary… net is that after a rough start, I’ve been able to get your changes combined with the old plugin authenticating. As you noted, some rough edges but progress!

Matt

Thanks much @ncwoody- that worked like a charm!

Thanks @ncwoody I just replaced the files in an installation that used to work, and it connected and seems to work fine. No extra work needed.

@CharlieH Did you just leave the MyQ app installed and then upload all the files provided by @ncwoody, including all the files in the 2 separate folders? Many thanks to you both, this would be a game changer in my house to get these working again.

Please, if you could give a little more details for the less technically challenged folks like myself.

@ShawninFL, I left the app installed, then just dragged the .xml. .lua, and .json files from the primary folder only into the LUUP Files upload box, and it started working.

1 Like

@ncwoody Thank you guys SO much for bringing this back to life. @CharlieH Thank you for your explanation for the novice. No doubt this will help others as well. Lovin it!!

Works like magic! AKA: The hours of hard work from a talented individual :slight_smile:

I did as @CharlieH suggested and copied the new .xml, .json. lua files and it immediately logged me in and i am now able to open and close the garage door.

The issue that i am having now and looking for some advice on is that I now get a message:

Event Watcher[22] : Startup Lua Failed

i found the Event Watched files on GitHub and uploaded them but that did not help so restored from back up and re-applied the MyQ update and i am still getting the same error (after updating MyQ).

First, please don’t think I’m being critical or picky. Very thankful for this miricle, believe me! Just curious if there’s a way to incorporate the MyQ devices (have 2 openers of 5 that use MyQ) to work with the traditional Garage Door Plugin. The GD plugin wants a switch device number and a contact sensor number. I use an old Imperihome version for controlling from my phone, I love the simplicity. Only thing I’m missing on my favorites page are these 2 openers.

Just as a personal wish list, again, so not being critical. The open close are inverted compared to the other lock switches. Maybe on a wish list for future tweaks.

MyQ device shows:
Closed is white to the left
Open is red to the right.

Traditional locks show:
Closed is red to the right
Open is white to the left.

A huge thanks ncwoody and CharlieH.
My garage doors are working with VERA once again.
Will be glad when they fix the VERA app issue…the app crashes when you add a door pin with specific dates

@akbooer I know this issue only popped up after installing the MyQ app but would you be able to help point me in a direction for troubleshooting?

Thanks much for getting this working again. My Chamberlan opener now works with VeraPlus again!
However, no icons on the MyQ device or Gateway. Checked the L_MyQGateway.lua, and the hex code is in there and appears to be identical to when I generate hex from the supplied .png files. Did I do something wrong at install to prevent the icons from generating?

Can anyone point me in a direction for troubleshooting? I’ve installed the new plugin in various ways. I can see the new device listed. But once I add the username/pwd, press update, a few seconds later I get the error “No Implemenation”. Does anyone know why this message comes up? Forgot to mention, it doesn’t detect any of the devices and it doesn’t update the last auth and update status.

Thanks for the work on this. Oddly my garage door doesn’t show up but the two a family member shared with me did when implemented.

Hi All - I just added the MyQ Hub to the garage. I loaded the plug-in and it seems like it was successful. It created a device, but there are no controls associated with the device itself.
App id :7386
Current Version:2.2
Latest Version 2.2

I added a device and it seemed like that worked.
Config: start configuration. This should not take more than 2 minutes.
Config: found device: 65 for app: 7386
Config: waiting app data for app: 7386
Config: found app data.
Config: config data was not found. Waiting for it…
Config: found config data.
Config: checking if user attention is required.
Config: Device doesn’t need configuration. Click Back to return to app list.
Config: it is now safe to exit this screen.

The problem is I don’t see any controls to control the door. What am I doing wrong?