Can't Configure Schlage Door/Window Sensor with Vera Lite

I just installed a Schlage Door/Window Sensor on my Vera Lite Z-Wave network. The vera discovers the sensor but lists it as a motion sensor and displays the error message: Unable to get any information on the node. I have tried configuring the node from the advanced menu for the device with no luck. I also tried a “heal” on the network with still no luck. The model # for the sensor is P516-485. The firmware version for my vera lite is 1.5.408. Any help would be appreciated.

One further clarification on the Schlage sensor I am having problems with on my vera lite, the model number is the RS100C.

typically Door/Window Sensors have limited range, I suggest remove the device, add it again while keeping Vera close to it for a while to make sure it’s not a communication/routing issue.

also, it’s normal that Vera detects it as a motion sensor, functionality wise they are very similar.

@scastill,

Welcome!

Is there a way to manually wake up the sensor to make it stay awake a while, so it can be configured?

"typically Door/Window Sensors have limited range, I suggest remove the device, add it again while keeping Vera close to it for a while to make sure it’s not a communication/routing issue.

also, it’s normal that Vera detects it as a motion sensor, functionality wise they are very similar. "

I tried this once already. I will give it another try.

[quote=“oTi@, post:4, topic:173246”]@scastill,

Welcome!

Is there a way to manually wake up the sensor to make it stay awake a while, so it can be configured?[/quote]

I tried this by pulling the cover off which sets off the tamper alarm (light comes on). However, this has not worked.

That may just send the alarm event and go back to sleep. Depends on the device.

How about re-inserting the battery/batteries. That may keep the device awake for a while.

Thanks to the suggestions I received. I was finally able to get the Schlage sensor working. For awhile, I thought that I would have to send them back to Amazon (I bought five). Here is how I got the sensor to work:

1. Put the vera lite into add mode.
  2. With the sensor in close proximity to the vera lite, pull the plastic tab out or the sensor and then leave the sensor next to the vera.
  3. Assuming you are logged into your vera through the micasavera web site, check to see that the sensor has been added. The sensor will have the name “motion sensor”. A notification should be present that says “waiting for sensor to wake to configure.”
  4. Come back to the vera lite which has the sensor laying on top, remove the sensor cover to wake it up. The sensor led should now be on.
  5. Return to the micasavera web interface and open the sensor settings. Click on the settings tab and click on the button “configure node now.”
  6. Some messages should scroll by on the top of the web interface indicating a successful configuration. When finished, no warning messages should appear on the bottom of the sensor icon on the web interface.
  7. Return to your vera lite and go ahead and depress the add button until the add/delete light goes out.
  8. I changed the name of the sensor to reflect something more informative on the advanced tab for the sensor settings interface.
  9. I saved everything.
  10. I then installed the sensor on my door with a few modifications to the instructions that came with the sensor:
    a. I used some 3M “Command” hanging tape rather than the double sided tape that came with the sensor. Please note that the sensor also comes with screws if you wish something more permanent.
    b. For doors that were well aligned horizontally, I did not use the base provided for the door magnet since the 3M hooks were more than sufficient for removability of the magnet sensor.

The sensor was $39/apiece at Amazon which is quite a bit less expensive than the other sensors I looked at - evergreen and Aeon. However, there is some complexity in the install. Once installed, the sensors work great. I was unable to find anything on google regarding the use of this sensor on a vera lite. Schlage just started selling them about 2 months ago.

Thanks for this! I just got mine today was having similar strange results pairing it. Once I ‘re-awakened’ the sensor and configured it, I had the little green man turning red when the connection was broken. I still need to work out how to code for switch state in Luup, but for now the schedule/trigger method should work great.

Here is the luup code on a “turn lights on” scene I used to turn on the lights when a virtual switch I called “armed” is turned on:

run = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VSwitch1","Status",10) if(run=="1")then return true else return false end

The scene is started by a trigger I added to the scene based on a door opening.

scastill, thanks for the step by step. I was also having trouble setting up these sensors but your procedure works very well.

I’ve tried configuring this thing 100 times. Had it working once but after a day, the led went solid for no reason and I had to re pair. Every time I get it paired, the magnet getting close to the sensor causes the led to go solid and it stops responding to all events (as if its in tamper mode). Defective?

I have the Same error With that sensor ! Please help

which error? the one @scastill or @jay1688 had? did you follow the exact steps that @scastill wrote?

The error that @schatill has. I have tried many ways to configure the sensor (Schlage RS100HC), I followed your steps but still doesn?t work. The sensor keeps the light on all the time and unresponsive on the vera configuration screen. I’ve removed and configured again ( both ways, with the software and manually with +/- buttons with the batteries) but still not work. Sometimes I saw the “waiting for user to config” leyend after I press “Configure node now” or a fail leyend. Wha do you recommend to do @capjay? thanks for your help

I have about 10 of these and haven’t had the issue you describe. Any time you trigger the sensor with the magnet, it should just momentarily blink the light. The only time I see it staying lit is if the tamper switch is not pressed. If you’ve excluded and included it and its still not working, I’d call it defective. Do you have more than one? Could it be a low battery? I haven’t had a low battery yet so I’m not sure how it would behave with one.

I noticed that it can stay lit if the device is unable to communicate (too far from Z-Wave nodes)…

I am having a similar problem but think its distance that makes loses the connection. Does anybody know the distance it will still communicate at? This is my garage sensor, so it has to go about 30ft to the closest node.

I bought two of these rs100HC sensors and I can’t get them to ‘add’ to my veralite. Zero success.
When I ‘remove’ them (even though they aren’t added) – which I do by pressing the - button on the veralite and then putting the battery into the sensor — I do get rapid light blinking on the vera. So, the vera is actually reacting to the sensors. But that’s as much luck as I’m having. Nothing else.

Any ideas?

My firmware is 1.6.641
and i’ve tried ui6 and the ‘simple’ gui in addition to just with the veralite.

HELP! :frowning:

[quote=“stefan1968, post:19, topic:173246”]I bought two of these rs100HC sensors and I can’t get them to ‘add’ to my veralite. Zero success.
[snip]
Any ideas?[/quote]

did you follow the detailed steps given by @scastill in this thread? Sometimes, you need to remove a device before adding it to a new controller. If the problem continues, maybe the sensor location is too far from Vera, try installing it closer to Vera to see if it works or not.