can vera3 lan ports act like switch ?

I have a router with dhcp on it. My all lan, wifi devices and vera3 connected it. How can vera3 lan ports act like a switch without using own dhcp and nat ?

Yes, Vera’s LAN ports are switch ports.

Vera’s networking is very “intelligent”. It usually just works, automatically detecting that it is not the main route, detecting existing DHCP servers, etc. Vera should detect everything, shut down its network services and utilize the LAN ports as plain “dumb” switch ports.

SHould Vera fail to prpoerly detect and configure it’s networking components, you can certainly go into Vera’s Network & WiFi section and manually configure Vera’s networking as you choose.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:174879”]Yes, Vera’s LAN ports are switch ports.

Vera’s networking is very “intelligent”. It usually just works, automatically detecting that it is not the main route, detecting existing DHCP servers, etc. Vera should detect everything, shut down its network services and utilize the LAN ports as plain “dumb” switch ports.

SHould Vera fail to prpoerly detect and configure it’s networking components, you can certainly go into Vera’s Network & WiFi section and manually configure Vera’s networking as you choose.[/quote]

Let me describe my problem with a diagramme and please give me certain instruction to do.

internet >----- > router (192.168.1.1) >----- > lan and wifi devives (192.168.1.x)
                                   ı
                                   ı
                                   ı
                                   v

(right now vera3 (192.168.1.y) (want vera lan port act like switch) >----- > other devices at vera lan ports(192.168.1.xy)
router connected ı
vera wan port) ı
ı
v
other devices at vera lan ports(192.168.1.xyz)

When I configure vera automatically, it put its dhcp on and gives ip my devices that connected its port. But I do not want that. I want vera act like simple switch as I draw above.

Your diagram is an appropriate configuration. Power cycle the Vera, hopefully it will configure itself automatically, but since you already set it up, it may not reconfigure itself correctly. In this case, you will have to reconfigure the network manually.

See the section titled: I already have a home router (i.e. DHCP server) and don’t want Vera to replace my router

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:4, topic:174879”]Your diagram is an appropriate configuration. Power cycle the Vera, hopefully it will configure itself automatically, but since you already set it up, it may not reconfigure itself correctly. In this case, you will have to reconfigure the network manually.

See the section titled: I already have a home router (i.e. DHCP server) and don’t want Vera to replace my router[/quote]
[b] already have a home router (i.e. DHCP server) and don’t want Vera to replace my router

Normally this should be handled automatically. You simply connect Vera’s WAN port to your existing home network and Vera should automatically detect that you already have a router, and then Vera will automatically turn off Vera’s built-in router functions, like firewall and DHCP server, thus becoming a normal network device. You can still find Vera on your home network using the findvera.com web site, and you can connect any network devices to Vera’s 4 LAN ports or to Vera’s Wi-Fi network, and they will work just fine on your home network, getting an IP address from your existing home router. When you go to the ‘Net & Wi-Fi’ tab on Vera, you will see the DHCP server is set to “OFF”, and the firewall is set to “No Firewall”. (See the IMPORTANT NOTE below.) [/b]

I read and did all the things that written there. But still vera do not act like a switch. I put my vera “Automatically configure” this time vera enables its dhcp and gives ip’s to lan ports. If I put it “Manually configure” and make disable its dhcp server this time nothing happen to lan ports there is no ip’s at lan ports. Is something wrong at my vera ? I have the latest firmware on it.

Perhaps I am not understanding the “problem”. Regardless of whether or not IP addresses are assigned to the ports, the LAN ports act as a group of switched ports. If Vera does not properly automatically disable the DHCP service, then turning it off manually, as you did, should be the end of it.

Perhaps you would be better served not using the WAN port at all.

Does my vera3 has a bug ?

All Vera3s are like this. There is no GUI-selectable option to bridge the WAN and LAN ports onto the same network.

There’s another topic somewhere on the forum that discusses this at length.

Check these threads:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11497.0.html

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11220.0.html

[quote=“futzle, post:8, topic:174879”]All Vera3s are like this. There is no GUI-selectable option to bridge the WAN and LAN ports onto the same network.

There’s another topic somewhere on the forum that discusses this at length.[/quote]

Thanks dude for that information. I hope micasa does something for it at new firmware.

Wow, news to me. Perhaps someone could update the Wiki? It’s got outdated information. So do I.

Let me start by saying that I didn’t read all the links, but for a normal router to be used as a switch you would NOT plug into the WAN port (that would normally result in double NAT, but it looks like vera is supposed to be aware of this).

You would just plug into the LAN ports with all cables and ignore the WAN port all together.
Most of the time you would disable the DHCP server first, but that is all that is usually needed.

Vera could be different…this is just how most normal internet routers would function.

danbutter, agreed. Vera is different.