Buying a new Alarm Panel - Guru's please advise :)

It’s been a while since I visited on this since i’ve been side-tracked with other projects and with the release of UI5, I don’t want to buy a panel that will give me a headache to install. What is the best panel right now for wired sensors?

I’m currently setup with a GE Simon XT (with zwave chip) system running completely wireless as well but that is not as important as having rock solid reliability w/ Vera. I also understand the wireless sensors cannot be seen by Vera anyway.

My house was pre-wired, I have wires in 3 door jambs and in a few corners for motion sensors (never connected to a sensor), and I figured I would utilize these more for my Vera Scenes than for the security system itself, I believe roughly 12 wired locations in all heading back to a home run.

By the way, I don’t intend to install my primary Vera NEXT to the system, but I do have an extra Vera 2 that is still in its box, and I have not set it up as a slave yet so maybe set that up as a wireless slave hooked directly to the panel? Again that is not what I intend to use the other Vera for (if at all) I simply want to set this up the OPTIMAL way with the right hardware and would move my primary Vera next to it if necessary. If you could also suggest the Motion sensors, recessed door and other sensors I would use, (driveway sensor is on the radar) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Just a quick chime in, with my DSC and Vera integration, Instead of relocating the Vera next to the alarm panel, all I did was tap into the closest keypad which was 15 feet away and ran a 4 wire off of that to the IT100 interface and kept Vera in the network closet with a USB adaptor plugged directly into Vera. Much easier than worrying if the new location of Vera was going to effect the Z-Wave signal not to mention installing an electrical receptacle etc… Just my 2 cents, hope this is helpful.

Can you cite examples for this? Is this a conventionally known issue? Seems unintuitive.

All, if not most sensors that are part of a supported alarm panel that is integrated with vera are seen. This includes wireless sensors. For example my DSC panel has both wired and wireless sensors. All of these sensors are shown in vera.

• Garrett

What panel are you using? Is it compatible with the GE wireless sensors that the SIMON XT panel uses?

I use a DSC alarm panel. Most if not all of the alarm plugins should show all of the alarm panel’s sensors, be it wireless or wired.

• Garrett

I was just told all of my wireless GE sensors are incompatible with DSC.
Is there a plugin for a GE Panel that would support wired and wireless? I have a ton of these and now that I know Vera can see them through DSC, I want to incorporate into my new setup.

The Elk M1 gold panel has a wireless receiver compatible with ge transmitter. The Elk panels are alot more money though.

John

[quote=“jwiz, post:8, topic:171187”]The Elk M1 gold panel has a wireless receiver compatible with ge transmitter. The Elk panels are alot more money though.

John[/quote]

I just canceled my monitoring service and had a SimonXT with zwave et.al as well. Ready to trash it but would like to not have to re-do the wireless motion detectors and smoke detectors in the house. Want full integration with Vera… is Elk the only option for GE compatible wireless plus full Vera integration?

According to a few online alarm companies I just reached out to; the Caddx panels work (and Concord 4) with our GE Wireless Sensors.
So i’m really just waiting on some insight into which panel works best with Vera and is confirmed to show the wireless sensors as individual zones.
How is Elk’s integration with Vera? I didn’t expect this to be an option. I see they have a doorbell sensor and a few other bells and whistles which would come in handy and if it shows up in the zones, I could use it for some advanced scenes.

[quote=“big517, post:10, topic:171187”]According to a few online alarm companies I just reached out to; the Caddx panels work (and Concord 4) with our GE Wireless Sensors.
So i’m really just waiting on some insight into which panel works best with Vera and is confirmed to show the wireless sensors as individual zones.
How is Elk’s integration with Vera? I didn’t expect this to be an option. I see they have a doorbell sensor and a few other bells and whistles which would come in handy and if it shows up in the zones, I could use it for some advanced scenes.[/quote]

The elk works pretty good with vera. I am using door contacts and motion zones to trigger lighting scenes. Also when arming the alarm it locks my zwave locks.

John

[quote=“jwiz, post:11, topic:171187”]The elk works pretty good with vera. I am using door contacts and motion zones to trigger lighting scenes. Also when arming the alarm it locks my zwave locks.

John[/quote]

Is that via a serial (hardwired) interface? Or can it be via an ethernet interface? The Elk looks nice…

[quote=“aschwalb, post:12, topic:171187”][quote=“jwiz, post:11, topic:171187”]The elk works pretty good with vera. I am using door contacts and motion zones to trigger lighting scenes. Also when arming the alarm it locks my zwave locks.

John[/quote]

Is that via a serial (hardwired) interface? Or can it be via an ethernet interface? The Elk looks nice…[/quote]

You can connect either way. I am connected via ethernet on my setup.