Bridgeing current smoke detectors to Verasecure

Have ether of these been tested with verasecure (veralink)? I could use ether to bridge my current wired smoke alarm to vera for moitoring.

2GIG-SDS1-345 Smoke Detector Sensor (Smoke Ring)
2GIG-FF-345 FireFighter Smoke Detector Sensor-Transmitter

Thanks,
Al

Any word on this. In my area I am required by code to maintain a wired smoke detector system, this would really help.

Might I recommend the Nest Secure as they do both Smoke and CO. If your regs require hard wiring, they will no doubt be requiring CO in the near future. might as well do it now instead of buying new sensors when they suddenly require it.
These are top shelf in my opinion as they talk to you instead of the usual beeping. Quite useful in bigger homes or buildings. And you don’t have to worry about them for 10 years as they have a 10 year product lifetime.
And they integrate with Vera with the WWN add on.

Just a thought.

[quote=“agh1701, post:1, topic:197191”]Have ether of these been tested with verasecure (veralink)? I could use ether to bridge my current wired smoke alarm to vera for moitoring.

2GIG-SDS1-345 Smoke Detector Sensor (Smoke Ring)
2GIG-FF-345 FireFighter Smoke Detector Sensor-Transmitter

Thanks,
Al[/quote]

I just installed the Smoke Ring and it works nicely. I think there is an issue with how it monitors the battery level, but otherwise it works great and looks nice. Easy way to monitor smokes if you have a VeraSecure… https://getvera.com/portfolio-posts/2gig-smoke-detector-sensor-transmitter-345/

I guess I’ll chime in here is well… I started with the older generation Kidde alarms that are ubiquitous in American households. My house was built recently enough that hardwired was required (and wireless interconnect was not yet available). So I added a Kidde SM120X relay module to the circuit, which provides a contact closure on alarm. That’s wired into an Aeotec door sensor’s auxiliary input.

Although I haven’t done it in my own house yet, I just replaced all of the smokes in one of my rental properties with the newest Kidde wireless-interconnect units with the 10-year lithium batteries. The prior tenant was in the house three years, and when he moved out, he left all the old smoke alarms in a kitchen drawer–apparently as the batteries started to fail (battery replacements are tenant responsibility under my lease), he just took them down and threw them in the drawer. So now, the house has fully interconnected smoke + CO with batteries that never get replaced (until the units themselves do), no worries. And they are still compatible with the SM120X, so when my current units go end-of-life, I’ll upgrade my own house to those new units as well. Cheaper than Nest by far, too.

I think I undersold the value. While I do plenty of wiring around my house, the combination of these two let me replace all 7 of my smoke detectors and add VeraLink monitoring for around $170 - without wiring anything. Just using the adapters on the smokes, plus the wire clip-ons on the smoke ring. I didn’t even bother to cut power at the breaker (although you should do that)…

The downside, of course, is this is VeraSecure only - I don’t know why a z-wave version of the smoke ring isn’t on the market.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Hardwire-Smoke-Detector-with-9V-Battery-Backup-with-Adapters-Ionization-Sensor-and-1-button-test-hush-21027429/100246185

Let me add, Ohio adopted a technology requirement for smoke alarms a few years ago when updating the residential building code. It requires both photoelectric and ionization technologies on each level of a dwelling. You can have a dual sensor, which many manufacturers make, so you still just need one device on every level. Additionally, photoelectric must be outside each sleeping area (think the hallway). CO alarms outside sleeping rooms are also now required.

So I have a story and a half condo with no basement. The main room has a dual technology and CO alarm, and the 3 bedrooms have ionization. My condo was built in 1999 and shortly after I bought it in 2012, I replaced the smoke alarms knowing they reached their end of life and made sure the newer technology requirement is met. I am not sure if other states will follow suit or not.

A friend of mind had a garage fire a couple of years ago and that convinced me to add a heat detector in my garage (some day) just to provide additional notification time to wake and get out. Since there is a separation requirement between a garage and a dwelling, I can see a fire having to rage a while before enough smoke enters the house to activate the smoke alarms. In the dwelling, the smoke will travel to an alarm pretty quickly. I have not had much luck finding the unit that meets my needs and can operate below freezing (Ohio can get cold in the winter) and I eventually forgot about it. This thread reminds me I need to get back on this.

So when I saw the base by 2Gig, I was thinking that could be a great addition to my system if it talks to a Vera 3. I am just not ready to get a Secure just yet, especially with the next hardware release apparently on the horizon.