Blue iris Plugin vs Standard Camera Plugin

I have Blue Iris managing my cameras.

Now, I’ve added my cameras to Vera UI5 via the Add Devices, and went through that way.

Now I discovered the BI plugin, which obviously makes it 100x easier to add camera. So I wonder the pros/cons to each of the two methods?

For instance, does one put more strain on Vera or the BI server?

[quote=“johnes, post:1, topic:188017”]I have Blue Iris managing my cameras.

Now, I’ve added my cameras to Vera UI5 via the Add Devices, and went through that way.

Now I discovered the BI plugin, which obviously makes it 100x easier to add camera. So I wonder the pros/cons to each of the two methods?

For instance, does one put more strain on Vera or the BI server?[/quote]

Both probley put the same strain on vera. But the BI plugin allows more options like motion detection or motion sensors in vera via the camera triggers in BI. So I would recommend BI plugin. Or better yet remove the cameras from vera and use imperihome and virtual motion sensor plugin.

I can totally agree on that… I had 4 Cams configured in Vera (native) and allot of “bad things” started to happen. In other words, it became unstable. I reverted back to my backup before that configuration and all was fine again.

I’m currently using the Imperihome BETA on IOS with the same 4 camera’s as native devices and it works like a charm. Same (frontend) result, but different/better implementation.

Would be nice if the imperihome IOS app (when it gets General Availibile) has RTSP enabled for Camera’s instead of only jpeg/mjpeg :wink:

When you run imperihome for 4cam, how do you record the video? or you just setup motion triggered to snapshot?

Recording is separated and has its own connection to the 4 cams.

It could be any DVR/NVR solution.
BlueIris is mentioned allot on this forum, but also Synology (surveillance station) could do that.

I personally use a HP NL40 MicroServer with Windows Home Server 2011 as OS.
On that I run Netcam Watcher Pro v3.3 as NVR/DVR solution.

I tried the N40L / WHS2011 route. With BI and 6 camera’s it pegged the CPU almost constantly. Hence my upgrade to the Lenovo TS140 Xeon box. Which I am mighty impressed with. It’s as quiet as the N40L and doesn’t use that much more juice.
The N40L got upgraded to become a BSD ZFS NAS box and it’s solid as that.

[quote=“BOFH, post:6, topic:188017”]I tried the N40L / WHS2011 route. With BI and 6 camera’s it pegged the CPU almost constantly. Hence my upgrade to the Lenovo TS140 Xeon box. Which I am mighty impressed with. It’s as quiet as the N40L and doesn’t use that much more juice.
The N40L got upgraded to become a BSD ZFS NAS box and it’s solid as that.[/quote]

I can fully understand your move toward the xeon platform.
Performance wise nl40 is not the best. I have it tuned to 70% CPU in “idle” (idle is 4 cams recording).
I’m orientating for a replacement. Maybe even split-off the NVR function to a 1bay Synology and keeping the NL40 as NAS + Client Backup station.

I strongly recommend considering the Lenovo TS140 with the Xeon 1225 V3. Especially when it’s on sale for $285 like it was earlier this week. It runs various Windows server platforms. Including WHS2011 and also supports Windows 7. I’ve had confirmation 8.x and the new 10 are also supported. As are a number of Linux flavors.

I am so happy with the one I bought to use as teh BIU server a few months back that I just picked up another one to use as my main workstation replacing an aging Phenom II box. As I am not a gamer, the built in graphics will suit me just fine.