Beta build of AutHomation/AutHomationHD version 3.0 for testing

Aaron, please give it a try again. The download Site is working for me. Could have been an error on there side. If that does not work than let me know.

• Garrett[/quote]

Yeah, I think the rounded corners just looks a lot nicer. Without th them the whole panel style seems incessant and just a waste of pixels.

Yes, tablet view… great views, I use it all the time on my phone.

What does the HD version have different besides missing tablet layout?

The HD version is specifically tailored for Android 3.1 and newer. It uses the newer android api calls. The tablet few for phones would never work as there is not enough space to render the panels. Not sure how it was possible on your phone.

• Garrett

Agree on rounded corners … is it an easy fix???

Unfortunately it was one of the reasons I did away with the rounded corners. It was very time consuming to keep up with the different layouts for all of the devices and to maintain the graphics. It required several different images and modifying every layout to get proper adjustment. I am also trying to conform as much as possible to Ice Cream / Jelly Bean’s design.

• Garrett

Just installed the new version. I’m not sure if it adds any new functionality for my usage though. My first observations and opinions are that the old tiles were nicer and that it’s a little flaky. At one point all of the tiles in a room disappeared until I changed to a different app. Then the room column went blank a moment later. I’ll have to give tasker a shot soon.

Thanks for the great tool and all the effort. I’m still using AutHomation on a daily basis.

[quote=“S-F, post:25, topic:172381”]Just installed the new version. I’m not sure if it adds any new functionality for my usage though. My first observations and opinions are that the old tiles were nicer and that it’s a little flaky. At one point all of the tiles in a room disappeared until I changed to a different app. Then the room column went blank a moment later. I’ll have to give tasker a shot soon.

Thanks for the great tool and all the effort. I’m still using AutHomation on a daily basis.[/quote]

Make sure that you either do a clean install of the app or clear the app data. Sounds like the database was not generated correctly for your vera unit. Most likely a temporary database was created in memory and than cleared when closing the app.

• Garrett

I uninstalled the old one first. Didn’t reboot or anything like that in between though. I’ll let you know if this persists.

For whatever reasons SR is working much, MUCH better for me now. In fact it’s usable where it really wasn’t before. Granted I haven’t tinkered with it much in a while. I have one request for SR though. AutHomation gets confused when I say “open the side door”. It works fine if I say “open side door” as my lock on the side door is designated as “side door”. Is there something which can be done about this on the AutHomation end? I could simply add a “the” before every device I have, but that seems to be somewhat out of line with the whole point oh home automation. HAL is able to deal with all kinds of additional words in commands but I’m not using it ATM because I already use AutHomation so much.

One more thing. I have two days off, today and tomorrow, for the first time in months so I’ve had time to play. I got Tasker and am wondering if it’s possible to be able to omit the Vera ID if you only have one and be able to replace the device or scene ID with its name in Vera.

One more tidbit. When using SR to turn on a light the last set level for a dimmable light is not respected and it is always set to 100% even when turning on conventionally via a tap of the on button does.

Let me check the speech recognition code. It should have “the” as a filler word to be taken out when google returns the results. In other words it should work, it really depends on what google returns for me to parse and figure out what needs to be done.

Sadly I am disappointed that Google removed a few of the api’s in Jelly Bean for the voice recognition. I will now need to find time to rewrite it to work with Jelly Bean. :frowning:

The vera id is needed to know what database to access. Even if I did omit the vera id for people who only have one vera unit, it would complicate the syntax needed to use with Tasker, Llama, etc. Meaning there would be multiple ways to write the uri and it could confuse people. As for the device and scene id, allowing the device or scene name could also complicate things. I have come across many people having the same name for a device or scene. This could cause the confusion for the app as it would not know which device or scene to run if it finds multiple of the same device or scene of that name.

Let me look at the code. It could very well be that it is not respecting the last saved value state of the code.

• Garrett

Hi garret
If you use llama could you please post a screenshot of the settings to send a command to your app?

[quote=“baxy_AU, post:32, topic:172381”]Hi garret
If you use llama could you please post a screenshot of the settings to send a command to your app?[/quote]

Let me see what I can come up with. When creating an event, click on the “Add Action” button and select “Android Intent”. Here are a few screen captures showing what to setup.

• Garrett

That’s perfect thanks

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Garrett,
It’s been a while since I gave you [private] feedback on HomAutomation, so I’ll bundle it all here. Overall it’s looking really good, esp with the smaller tiles as I can now fit a lot more on the screen (I have a Nexus7)

a) Building Favorites…
I use the Press-and-hold menu on each device to add stuff to the Favorites menu. On the Nexus7, in portrait mode, the Add-to-Favorites options is hidden in the sub-sub menu. (Info|Poll|Hide| ).
It would be handy if this could be promoted up, to make it quicker to get to. I’d imagine that “Info” could readily be pushed into the menu to achieve this, and most people wouldn’t notice.

b) Alternative UI’s for Rooms…
Now that the Devices are more compact, it’s further highlighting how much real-estate/white-space is being taken up by the Rooms list.
Have you considered alternative UI/Renderings for this component?
eg. An Icon strip, that slides left-to-right (in Portrait mode) with Labels and/or User-supplied Pictures
The Favorite’s TAB has a much clearer display as it’s hidden the Room display. I suspect that a much reduced, potentially thumbnail Room list would give a similar effect to the other tabs.

Another alternate would be to let users use flick-left/right gestures on the main pain itself, and use that to switch rooms. Of course, that might be problematic for folks that have loads of rooms, so the Icon strip might do that better.

c) Can the toolbar items be hidden.
I’ve never really used the toolbar items for “z>a”, “search”, “=”, “(E)” and “=”. Could these be put into the standard menu, so they’re exposed when they’re needed?
This would free up a bunch of space in the UI to display more devices, and would simplify the initial UI experience for new/infrequent users.

d) Pull-down to refresh…
Not sure if Android has this, but on iOS you can often use a pull-down-hold-release model on a Panel to trigger it to refresh… Oftentimes, they put a small message to that effect on the part that’s exposed when the Panel is pulled down.
If this were possible in Android, you could eliminate a further toolbar component.

Anyhow, love the work, it’s definitely progressing extremely well, congrats!

guessed,

Thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate your opinion and have used your ideas and comments heavily in the development of the app. I need to do more testing on the googletv front. It has been lacking in testing. Bought a macbook pro retina a month back and since google does not support googletv emulation on the mac, I have to resort to using my revue for development. Not a bad thing at all, but I do not get much play time with the revue. I am hoping to get out the alpha builds this weekend on the box.

a) Building Favorites... I use the Press-and-hold menu on each device to add stuff to the Favorites menu. On the Nexus7, in portrait mode, the Add-to-Favorites options is hidden in the sub-sub menu. (Info|Poll|Hide| ). It would be handy if this could be promoted up, to make it quicker to get to. I'd imagine that "Info" could readily be pushed into the menu to achieve this, and most people wouldn't notice.

I have made this change. I keep meaning to do this and forgetting. I reorganized the placement of the options a little better.

b) Alternative UI's for Rooms... Now that the Devices are more compact, it's further highlighting how much real-estate/white-space is being taken up by the Rooms list. Have you considered alternative UI/Renderings for this component? eg. An Icon strip, that slides left-to-right (in Portrait mode) with Labels and/or User-supplied Pictures The Favorite's TAB has a much clearer display as it's hidden the Room display. I suspect that a much reduced, potentially thumbnail Room list would give a similar effect to the other tabs.

Another alternate would be to let users use flick-left/right gestures on the main pain itself, and use that to switch rooms. Of course, that might be problematic for folks that have loads of rooms, so the Icon strip might do that better.

The funny thing is the last day or two I have been looking into something like this. If you have used the Evernote app on the nexus 7, I want to do something similar where you can slide left or right to reveal the sections. This would give more area for the tiles. I need to look into how hard this would be to implement (hopefully not to0 complicated, but do not want to have to overhaul the whole app in the 2.1 release.) If a lot of work is needed, I can make this go into a future release like 2.2 or 2.3.

c) Can the toolbar items be hidden. I've never really used the toolbar items for "z>a", "search", "=", "(E)" and "=". Could these be put into the standard menu, so they're exposed when they're needed? This would free up a bunch of space in the UI to display more devices, and would simplify the initial UI experience for new/infrequent users.

I would hate to over populate the menu for the tablet layout. I can make something where the toolbar can be hidden and have an icon somewhere on the screen to show the toolbar. If I can get slide left, right panels working, I can add this to that.

d) Pull-down to refresh... Not sure if Android has this, but on iOS you can often use a pull-down-hold-release model on a Panel to trigger it to refresh... Oftentimes, they put a small message to that effect on the part that's exposed when the Panel is pulled down. If this were possible in Android, you could eliminate a further toolbar component.

It is possible to do, I believe I would have to create my own implementation for this. I have seen it done many times in other android apps. I’ll add this to my list and see how much work is needed to incorporate this.

Again thanks for the feedback. It is always welcome.

• Garrett

Did some digging and was able to implement the slide down to refresh option. I have it working nicely and will need further testing. But it should be available in the next test release.

• Garrett

Great stuff, thanks for putting these changes in!

Hi garret
Upon playing a bit more with Llama I see it supports (some) Locale plugins…is it possible for your app to act as a Locale plugin it make integration a bit easier?

[quote=“baxy_AU, post:39, topic:172381”]Hi garret
Upon playing a bit more with Llama I see it supports (some) Locale plugins…is it possible for your app to act as a Locale plugin it make integration a bit easier?[/quote]

Might just be best to contact the Llama dev… he’s very responsive.