Best way to use LRM-AS wall switch to control LPM-15 appliance modules?

Not sure if I fully understand associations and/or scenes. I have a double gang wall box that I used one side for the front porch light. The other is used for a fan that is controlled by a wireless remote. I straight wired the fan and connected a LRM-AS dimmer switch on the hot & neutral with the load wire not connected. I want to have this switch turn on two LPM-15 modules. Is there a way to do this via associations or is a scene the only way? Either way I am having trouble setting this up. I am afraid that it may be time to dig into LUUP code.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

I don’t have this device, but my guess is it is just a dimmer and can’t control other devices directly. You could use the LTM-5 to control other devices.

I didn’t really think this out, I bought some appliance modules, dimmer and relay switches. when I realized what I wanted to do I started to think “can I make this work”. I was hoping that an action on a switch would be able to cause a scene to start/stop or trigger other devices. Never even looked at the LTM-5, time to buy more.

Thanks

An action on some switches can cause furth actions. Unfortunately, Lutron owns a patent on this, and some manufacturers pay the license fee, others do not. Leviton (and others) paid it, but many (including Evolve) do not, so Vera isn’t informed immediately of a change. See the “instant status” lines in the following (possibly outdated) matrix lists:
Switches: http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-OnOff-Wall-Switch-Matrix-W7.aspx
Dimmers: http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-Dimming-Wall-Switch-Matrix-W16.aspx

Some devices, like Cooper and ACT can control other devices directly, but that is different than reporting status instantly to Vera.

Depends on the device and its location if that would be reliable, or work at all. The Evolve gear does not support instant status, so using [tt]a device is turned on or off[/tt] as a trigger for a scene on Vera may not work. See @PurdueGuy’s post.

Never even looked at the LTM-5, time to buy more.
It's Evolve's transmitter to control other devices. It can be enabled to poll the device it controls every so many minutes, so it will see the correct status if you switch the device locally (as instant status is not supported).

I had no idea that there was a patent on the “instant status” . I was going to get the Leviton switches originally but due to lack of beaming and just general confusion over models numbers I went with the Evolve product. Maybe I need a leviton switch there. I would love to have a four switch with status lights that I can control 4 other switches. I can do this with or without controling a local load.

The Leviton names can be confusing, but I finally got the hang of it. Here’s a quick breakdown:

Everything starts with VR for “Vizai RF” or “Vizia RF+”
All devices end with either X or Z
X = White, ivory and almond
Z = White, ivory and light almond

VRC - controllers (the most confusing!)
VRCS# - scene controllers, where # is 1, 2 or 4
VRCZ#- zone controllers, where # is 1 or 2
Ends with -MR : no local loads
Ends with -M0 : local load (on/off only)

VRS - switches
VRS05 - 5A switch (for incandescent loads only!)
VRS15 - 15A switch

VRI - incandescent dimmers
VRI06 - 600 watt dimmer
VRI10 - 1000 watt dimmer

VRF - Fan controller
VRF01 - the only fan controller I know of

VRR - receptacles (outlets)
VRR15 - 15A receptacle

Here is a Leviton Line Card showing all the devices:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=jz0-9n-w5x7vkf5axNAQFQ&label=IBE&appName=IBE&minisite=10251

More info here: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=41549&minisite=10251

PurdueGuy,

Great post.

• Garrett

PurdueGuy,

Thanks for the info! I downloaded some cut sheets from leviton to read up on.

I am still not sure if I want the switch to effect another switch or if I want it to trigger a scene, can I do both or pick one of the two with leviton?

[quote=“Gizmo, post:9, topic:171347”]PurdueGuy,

Thanks for the info! I downloaded some cut sheets from leviton to read up on.

I am still not sure if I want the switch to effect another switch or if I want it to trigger a scene, can I do both or pick one of the two with leviton?[/quote]

Leviton switches won’t control another switch directly. They will report instant status to Vera, so you can use that event as a trigger for a scene (assuming Vera sees/processes the status update!)

Leviton scene/zone controllers can control other devices directly, assuming they are programmed correctly. Vera usually programs them with scene commands, so only scene-capable devices are controlled directly. However, if you want to do On/Off, I know it can be programmed with the Leviton remote, but I haven’t tried using Vera to do that yet (or if I have, I can’t remember the outcome…I’ve tried sooooo many permutations!)