Been on vera for 1.5 years and having issues that I cannot seem to resolve

I?ve been running on Vera for about 1.5 years; initial setup took a bit of time and I only got about halfway through what I initially envisioned. I?ve been in IT for 20 years and am fairly technical, however I do not have the time to tinker and trouble shoot. I put a fair amount of work in the initial setup and worked through issues and gave up on others when I saw in the forums that some of my devices where problematic. Anyway, I got basic functionality I wanted working in about half the house and then let things be for the last year and a half. Now things are starting to break and I have made no changes to the system and opened a few tickets with support all to no avail. All five of my Plug-in Lamp dimming devices (RZC03) started randomly turning on about 6 weeks ago and cannot get them to stay off except to unplug it from the wall. Also, I have a dimmer that is acting as a trigger for two other dimmers and it now has stopped working when physically turning the dimmer off. however if I do it through UI5 it works just fine. So it appears the status for some reason now does not report back to Vera.

So after trolling the threads I?ve seen quite a few people (with similar issues) say they had to rebuild the whole network 8-10 hours and I can confirm that it will take me some time to do it all over again and the thought is just painful. Additionally, I live in Chicago and here all electrical is run in metal electrical single or double gang boxes and metal conduit, not sure if this adds to z-wave network communication issues.

I want a system that will just work and be stable and predictable. So either I need to 1) sell all my Leviton z-wave devices and buy ones from a different manufacture that work better with Vera or 2) change to another system altogether ("simply automated? or Lutron RadioRA 2).

Here is what I currently own:

1 x VeraLight
16 x Leviton RZI06
2 x Leviton VP00R-10Z (ceiling fan dimmer)
2 x Leviton VRCS4-M0Z Vizia RF + 4-Button Remote Scene Controller (installed, never worked)
3 x Leviton VRCS2-MRZ Vizia RF + 2-Button Scene Controller (installed, never worked, one of them now shows red in UI5 ?failed at: setting special association??).
5 x Leviton VRP03-1LW Vizia RF + 300W Scene Capable Plug-In Lamp Dimming Module (randomly turning on, but not logging anything in logs according to tech support).
16 x Leviton RZI06 (still in boxes, not yet installed)
1 x VeraLight (still in box, not yet installed)

So my ideal end state would be everything above including the devices that I never ended up installing as of yet.

Any suggestions on what todo for a solid, stable system would be greatly appreciated?!!!

Hello, I can confirm the Vera system start to change behaviour by it self. I’m a programmer and have used PLCs for 30 years. If some logic is tested it does not change and after commissioning you can leave the system for many years without any maintenance.
I have also problem with apllication that change behaviour. Functionality that have worked for months stops working. I did not do anything. For example I turn of all my lightning devices at a specific time late evening every day. Some of the devices is still turned on when I wake up. When I do it manually on veramate or in the UI5 it work, but not in the scene??
I have invested a lot of money in my system ant time… Now I want to enjoy and not troubleshot any more.

Per Larsson, V?ster?s Sweden

[quote=“perla8421, post:2, topic:187425”]Hello, I can confirm the Vera system start to change behaviour by it self. I’m a programmer and have used PLCs for 30 years. If some logic is tested it does not change and after commissioning you can leave the system for many years without any maintenance.
I have also problem with apllication that change behaviour. Functionality that have worked for months stops working. I did not do anything. For example I turn of all my lightning devices at a specific time late evening every day. Some of the devices is still turned on when I wake up. When I do it manually on veramate or in the UI5 it work, but not in the scene??
I have invested a lot of money in my system ant time… Now I want to enjoy and not troubleshot any more.[/quote]
In your 30 years, did you see any device failures? Were your PLCs wireless? Did environmental changes not have any impact?

With wireless Z-Wave devices, these are all issues that affect the devices. Like PLCs they don’t affect the programming logic, but if the device fails or fails to receive the command, then inexperienced people might think that it is a logic problem.

I’ve tried to provide some troubleshooting options in your other post.

Honestly I think you should just hire a company to install and maintain a working system if that is what you want. This technology is still in it’s development phase and things are changing quickly. This can cause issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emyrold

I had issues with some devices such as lights remaining on after I upgraded my Vera 2 to U15.
I first removed the scenes for those devices and then the devices. I repaired the devices and created new scenes.
I had no more problems. It was only a few lights and I did each one one at a time so it didn’t take all that long to correct the problems.
Try it.

Good luck

I have found the cause of some of my lights goofy behavior that may help others!!
We often love to create that special convoluted logic we feel answers our needs and ends up being hard to test every step condition.

Recently when we moved to Daylight-Saving time some of my “sunset triggered” lights were not turning off like they used to…
Long story short… in Daylight saving time the Sunset condition actually triggers some of my outdoor lights after/passed all my logic that turns them off!!!
The problem here is only that my logic is broken in summer/DST, not Pleg or Vera

[quote=“emyrold, post:1, topic:187425”]Here is what I currently own:

1 x VeraLight
16 x Leviton RZI06
2 x Leviton VP00R-10Z (ceiling fan dimmer)
2 x Leviton VRCS4-M0Z Vizia RF + 4-Button Remote Scene Controller (installed, never worked)
3 x Leviton VRCS2-MRZ Vizia RF + 2-Button Scene Controller (installed, never worked, one of them now shows red in UI5 ?failed at: setting special association??).
5 x Leviton VRP03-1LW Vizia RF + 300W Scene Capable Plug-In Lamp Dimming Module (randomly turning on, but not logging anything in logs according to tech support).
16 x Leviton RZI06 (still in boxes, not yet installed)
1 x VeraLight (still in box, not yet installed)[/quote]

For what it is worth, I think you’ve outgrown your VeraLite. Over time, you add devices, fight the good fight, and it is HARD to think replacing your controller is the answer. You struggle with “throwing good money after bad”.

It was only after I changed out my VeraLite with a Vera3 (no experience on the Edge, sorry), did my system “settle down” and I could actually solve problems, and gain some stability.