Bed occupancy sensor

http://val-u-care.com/index.php/elderly-fall-prevention-products-1/cordless-replacement-products.html

Guys. Just be warned. Every product like this I’ve see is built the same way and they have a limited life. The ones linked above are pretty expensive and also don’t hqve the circuit to delay the signal. So whenever you’re in bed you will be getting in and out of bed signals ALL THE TIME. Without the circuit the product is mostly useless. For the same money you can get a sofa scram, an Everspring door/window sensor and make the circuit.

This is what you need. It is designed for nursing homes to let staff know if a person gets out of bed. I have used one of these for a long time and it is very rugged but doesn’t cause a lump in the mattress.

http://www.bedcheck.com

Thanks S-F, didn’t realize those other units didn’t have a delay circuit.

Thanks!

John

PS - The NonnaTech person emailed me regarding the order. I’m assuming to cancel.

BTW, can you put the Scram Mat or Bed Check mat BETWEEN the boxspring and mattress?

Without an adjustment of the sensor, I don’t see how I can keep this hidden with anything on top as I was hoping.

If you read back through the thread you’ll see that it will indeed work for you.

Awesome, just ordered a Scram Mat.

Saw this on MSN today. It’s a bed that has an App (and therefore, some network API). Now that would be a cool plugin :slight_smile:
http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=8&from=en-us_msnhp#/video/ab657575-13c8-42f7-9ef7-d55d9d2bbf92

This thread has been quite a while, anything new on the bed sensor front? I am thinking about setting up a couple things there myself and would like to know if anyone has done anything new that I should be looking into.

I’ve been reading in another thread about mysensors.org, that uses Raspberry Pi and has Vera gateway plugin. I’ve not looked at it in detail, but if you like to build stuff yourself, there is a pressure sensor that implies it might made a good bed presence sensor.
Store | MySensors - Create your own Connected Home Experience
Best of luck :slight_smile:

Bit of an older topic but figured it may be a good place to post as I did a search on the forum and using Google and couldn’t find anything else about this.

Has anyone looked into Sleep Number beds, I have one that knows when I am in bed knows when I am out of bed, has 2 sides, somehow differentiates between me being restlessly sleeping and me getting out of bed, it also connects to my WiFi to send the info to their site and to a phone app via Bluetooth for control.

So surely some smart person out there might be able to figure out how to connect to this kind of bed and obtain the information and use it with Vera somehow to sense if you have been in bed for xx minutes or out of bed for xx minutes.

I am guessing you would still need some kind of scene or PLEG to work out what to do depending on the time, if you have a usual time range you get out of bed and want the lights on full, or other times when you would want them on dimmed or not at all.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Has anyone that has tried this got a memory foam mattress or topper. Looking for feedback on how this might work.
Also, how about standard under capet burglar alarm mats. Would this work under the mattress itself.

I like your idea of the under carpet burglar pads, catch them coming in through a window or door if they somehow bypass the contact and glass break sensors or something.

Although then my motion sensor would get them any way.

Some kind of throughout the house under carpet sensors wired in for power that can detect people stepping on them would be cool though, for sensing which rooms and where in the room people were standing, I am sure something cool could be done with that.

I’m bringing this one back from the dead!

The first part of this of course is… how have the sensors that you guys built been holding up? How has the battery life on the delay circuit been? Is it working for you?

Secondly, has anyone else been working on this and not been posting in this thread? I’ve not been able to really search out much on the board with people actually implementing it other than in this thread.

The third, and most important is that I am about to be collecting parts to build something like this. I have found a good hospital/nursing home grade pad that is supposed to have a long life. They sell the components individually, so I do not have to buy a whole system, just the pad. I have spoken with their design support team and have found that the pad has a normal 3k resistance for supervision and closes contact on pressure application. I need to figure out if there are sensors I can use directly that wont be upset by the 3k ohm value for “open”. I guess I could of course add more resistance to the circuit if we know that I need to get above a certain threshold for a device to be okay with it. For work I have a huge variety of resistors on hand anyway.

Also, has anyone decided if PLEG and timers is the way to go for giving the circuit anti-bounce or is the electric circuit still the way you guys are working it? I’d prefer to keep this as simple as possible on wiring and circuitry, and I have a long haul for the WAF on this one. It is to mount under my daughter’s crib and anything with cords and batteries will terrify her even if it is inaccessible. I know she will be okay with it if I build it clean and with no exposed wires, and if she then gets to know when my daughter gets out of bed. We are about to convert to toddler bed from crib mode…

[quote=“Priest, post:53, topic:173231”]I’m bringing this one back from the dead!

The first part of this of course is… how have the sensors that you guys built been holding up? How has the battery life on the delay circuit been? Is it working for you?

Secondly, has anyone else been working on this and not been posting in this thread? I’ve not been able to really search out much on the board with people actually implementing it other than in this thread.

The third, and most important is that I am about to be collecting parts to build something like this. I have found a good hospital/nursing home grade pad that is supposed to have a long life. They sell the components individually, so I do not have to buy a whole system, just the pad. I have spoken with their design support team and have found that the pad has a normal 3k resistance for supervision and closes contact on pressure application. I need to figure out if there are sensors I can use directly that wont be upset by the 3k ohm value for “open”. I guess I could of course add more resistance to the circuit if we know that I need to get above a certain threshold for a device to be okay with it. For work I have a huge variety of resistors on hand anyway.

Also, has anyone decided if PLEG and timers is the way to go for giving the circuit anti-bounce or is the electric circuit still the way you guys are working it? I’d prefer to keep this as simple as possible on wiring and circuitry, and I have a long haul for the WAF on this one. It is to mount under my daughter’s crib and anything with cords and batteries will terrify her even if it is inaccessible. I know she will be okay with it if I build it clean and with no exposed wires, and if she then gets to know when my daughter gets out of bed. We are about to convert to toddler bed from crib mode…[/quote]

I have been using the same scram mat0 or whatever it’s called) and battery since I first built the debounce circuit. It’s very reliable. My door locks, my PC gets put to sleep, announcements are made in the bedroom (but much fewer announcements), The thermostat gets turned down, etc. when I’m in bed. When I get up it wakes my PC, reads my horoscope for the day when I first walk into the kitchen, etc. I get reminded to go to bed if I’m up late and have to work the next morning. If I stay up I get a lashing. Same thing in the morning. If I don’t get up I get reminded to. If I persist in sleeping in the house starts swearing at me. As for the PLEG stuff. I fed my Vera to the neighbor’s pittbull years ago, moved to a different system and haven’t looked back. Ever. Good luck!

I just purchased a Sleep Number SleepIQ bed and am starting a search for the API. Getting data from SleepIQ would be nice but I really want to send commends to the bed from Vera. So far, I am not finding API information.