Battery Issues

I use a combination of the Find my Friends app on my iPhone and the Gmail sensor [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22765.msg154393.html#msg154393]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22765.msg154393.html#msg154393[/url] to mute my IPhone locator when I am at home or work. It solves the battery problem.

Greg

[quote=“RichardPHarvey, post:20, topic:190359”]"EDIT: I see why the 1 mile would work just fine if you fence is set to 1.5 mile by the way. "

Yep that is correct, I live in a far more rural (country) setting, travel speeds on the roads near my home average 45mph. I played around with various distance settings in the polling map and what I have now works well. However, as you pointed out I can get up to 3-4 miles away from my house before I’m detected to be outside my home range setting. For me that’s acceptable as I only have it setting the alarm for me, don’t have any Z-Wave door locks as yet.[/quote]

Well just so you know it does work with decimal points so you could lower your 1.5 miles down to lower then a mile and still have the same 300 sec polling time if you ever choose to.

Thanks for your help on breaking this down. I would have never learned or made the changes I have now, without the input or examples you have provided.

You’re very welcome, I have been the recipient of some great coaching from you and the others on the forum. This was my first opportunity to give back…!

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:22, topic:190359”][quote=“RichardPHarvey, post:20, topic:190359”]"EDIT: I see why the 1 mile would work just fine if you fence is set to 1.5 mile by the way. "

Yep that is correct, I live in a far more rural (country) setting, travel speeds on the roads near my home average 45mph. I played around with various distance settings in the polling map and what I have now works well. However, as you pointed out I can get up to 3-4 miles away from my house before I’m detected to be outside my home range setting. For me that’s acceptable as I only have it setting the alarm for me, don’t have any Z-Wave door locks as yet.[/quote]

Well just so you know it does work with decimal points so you could lower your 1.5 miles down to lower then a mile and still have the same 300 sec polling time if you ever choose to.

Thanks for your help on breaking this down. I would have never learned or made the changes I have now, without the input or examples you have provided.[/quote]

First of all, thanks to RichardPHarvey for explaining this clearly ;-).

One more thing that I’m struggling with. My Home Range is set at 0.2 kilometers.

I want to make sure that when i’m at home, my phone doesn’t poll that much. But when I’m just outside my home range, it should poll often to make sure my position is as accurate as possible. Is this the way to do it:

0:300,0.2:5,1:10,3:20,5:60,10:200,15:600

Kind regards,

Raf

[quote=“raftheunis87, post:24, topic:190359”]First of all, thanks to RichardPHarvey for explaining this clearly ;-).

One more thing that I’m struggling with. My Home Range is set at 0.2 kilometers.

I want to make sure that when i’m at home, my phone doesn’t poll that much. But when I’m just outside my home range, it should poll often to make sure my position is as accurate as possible. Is this the way to do it:

Kind regards,

Raf[/quote]

This looks fine to me. Problem will still be when you leave home it could be up to 5 min (300 secs) before your phone rechecks it’s location and realizes your away from home.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:25, topic:190359”][quote=“raftheunis87, post:24, topic:190359”]First of all, thanks to RichardPHarvey for explaining this clearly ;-).

Kind regards,

Raf[/quote]

This looks fine to me. Problem will still be when you leave home it could be up to 5 min (300 secs) before your phone rechecks it’s location and realizes your away from home.[/quote]

true. a couple of strategies to overcome that issue could be:

• increase home polling frequency ( 0:120 for instance ) but mute the phone during the night hours
  • have a motion detector on your home entry door and when tripped, forced a refresh ( there is a UPNP action for that )

[quote=“amg0, post:26, topic:190359”]true. a couple of strategies to overcome that issue could be:

• increase home polling frequency ( 0:120 for instance ) but mute the phone during the night hours
  • have a motion detector on your home entry door and when tripped, forced a refresh ( there is a UPNP action for that )[/quote]

I do a forced refresh using geofence to help make it more accurate.