Basic help

I suspect I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve struggled with this from day one with Vera.

I have a reasonably technical background (although I’m no developer) so I really can’t understand why I can’t get this to work.

Simply put, when we come home at night, and the lights have gone off automatically (because it’s late or whatever) I want the lights to come on.

I thought I had it pegged with my most recent attempt with PLEG:
Three triggers:
t1: Day or Night indicates night time
t2: House modes plugin has changed to Home
t3: Porch light is off

One condition:c1: t1 AND t2 AND t3

And one set of logic actions

The behaviour is that if you’re at home, with the home mode engaged, it’s dark, and you turn the porch lights off, PLEG immediately evaluates and turns them back on again.

The ‘problem’ as I see is that PLEG is not evaluating that the house mode has changed since we last checked, but that the house mode is home.

What I want is the trigger to either from any mode > home or (perhaps more usefully) away > home

Can’t say that it works only in ‘Away’ mode as we end up with a race condition.

Apologies that this is so basic, but I really can’t find anything in the docs I’ve read so far (and the editing in the current version of UI7 is rather different than that in the manual)

Any pointers would be fantastic.

Merry Christmas

C

First up, anything PLEG related, you need to post a Status Report.
That report gives us the entire picture of what is going on rather than focusing on what you might think is the problem, you will find that others will join in as well as we all have the same info and motive to help.
Agreed that there are diifernces between what the manual says and UI7 version, but the same logic applies and once you master PLEG then anything is possible.
HIH

Thanks! And yes, I’d like to stick at it
Status report attached, I hope!

Oh, and may be relevant, I’m not getting any notifications from it either.

Cheers!

C

My immediate suggestion is to change the light off trigger to device property. A trigger would be a change, whereas you are really looking for a status and if the light is off, then that makes the condition true.

Yep, thats what we need to see.

Try this to start.
Change the AND to a sequence.

ie. t1;t2;t3

It may not do exactly what you want to start with, however, it puts it all into a logical sequence of events that must occur in sequence.

In this case it must be night first, then you must be Home, and finally when you turn the Light off, the condions becomes true.
Also turn repeats OFF

See what this does first.

Right thanks, that makes some sense.

Cheers

C

[quote=“zedrally, post:5, topic:200295”]Yep, thats what we need to see.

Try this to start.
Change the AND to a sequence.

ie. t1;t2;t3

It may not do exactly what you want to start with, however, it puts it all into a logical sequence of events that must occur in sequence.

In this case it must be night first, then you must be Home, and finally when you turn the Light off, the condions becomes true.
Also turn repeats OFF

See what this does first.[/quote]

Surely then when the lights go off, the condition becomes true, and they come back on again?

Cheers

C

Right thanks, that makes some sense.

Cheers

C[/quote]

OK tried that. Not sure if it’s correct. I can’t see a status of ‘off’ but here’s the new status report (probably not much good yet)

Cheers!

C

Something is not right, you should see a value in the Properties Column.

Like this?

Cheers!

C

Yes, you have it working now?

Can’t tell yet :slight_smile: . I’m still at home. I can see this won’t work if I’m at home and my wife is out late, so when she comes home the lights won’t come on (I don’t think) if they turn off at 2330. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for your help. I’ll let you know when I get a test scenario.

Have a great Christmas!

C

you will need an “OR” for yourself or your wife.

I’m following this as I have a need for this but was waiting until Vera got it’s new FW going.
Think multiple geofence users…

[quote=“zedrally, post:13, topic:200295”]you will need an “OR” for yourself or your wife.

I’m following this as I have a need for this but was waiting until Vera got it’s new FW going.
Think multiple geofence users…[/quote]

Multiple geofence indeed. I can cope without the OR for now. We shall see what happens in about 10 minutes :slight_smile:

Do we have and idea when the next FW update is due?

Cheers (again)

C

Next Year…I’m not holding my breath as I have seen so many promises over the years.
When it happens it happens.
I’ll tinker with this more later in the week, ATM it’s Xmas day and there are other priorities.

Wise.

FWIW this didn’t work. As soon as the timer turned the lights off, the PLEG turned them back on because it’s in home mode.

Oh well. Next :slight_smile:

C

^^^
What Timer?

[quote=“zedrally, post:17, topic:200295”]^^^
What Timer?[/quote]

Sorry, bad use of words. There’s a scene that turns the lights off at 2330. Also some quick checks indicate that if you turn the lights off manually, they immediately get turned on again.

Cheers!

C

It could well be the scene that is the problem? Unfortunately you have not provided the complete picture as I have no idea what your scene does and how it might affect the PLEG.

Ahh apologies. How can I provide you with what you need?

I’d describe the scene as pretty much:
It’s 2330: Turn (as set) the lights off.

That’s all it does.

Worth re-iterating that even if I turn the lights off manually (i.e. when it’s dark and we’re in home mode) the lights are turned back on again immediately…?

Cheers!

C