Anyone interested in a RooWifi Group Purchase (Roomba wifi controller)???

Hello All!

I had been beta testing a Roomba Wifi Remote (RooWifi) and am wondering if anyone is interested in a group purchase?!? Check in here. The thread on plugin development is http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=13532.new;topicseen#new .

Depending on interest I can determine pricing.

Chuck

i just got a email from a z-wave shop in spain selling RooWifi for 79,99?.

the interface seems to be a really nice thing … i have not got my Roomba yet :frowning:

It works very well. I have been working on a plug in on and off but haven’t quite got it to work (it’s my first plug in)… once I get the basic “clean” and “dock” working, I can begin to add further functionality (battery level and maybe manual over-ride)… lots of possibilities as the API is published!

For now it works well remotely via the RooWifi link you get with the module.

Only caveat… apply stick-on bumpers to protect the card from impact if Roomba travels under low objects. I literally ripped mine off Roomba and damaged the mini-din pins. Inexpensive adhesive bumpers at the hardware store work great to eliminate this issue!

Let me know if you’re interested. I’d like to get a count so I can go back to the company for a GP price with shipping for us all… The more of us who get in the lower the total price :slight_smile: .

Chuck

the 7** modells seems to have a cable (as i see in the youtube clip) ?
posible to put the wiFi Module inside the roomba ? looks kind of ugly with the handle off …
i would not care much about this but it has not just to be Furniture proof,
there are more serious factor like Mother-inLaw with something wet try cleaning it … :slight_smile:

[quote=“nullx8, post:4, topic:175731”]the 7** modells seems to have a cable (as i see in the youtube clip) ?
posible to put the wiFi Module inside the roomba ? looks kind of ugly with the handle off …
i would not care much about this but it has not just to be Furniture proof,
there are more serious factor like Mother-inLaw with something wet try cleaning it … :)[/quote]

My 790 has a port just under the handle. It is very easy to plug in the RooWifi module and remove it. The handle stays on, but is propped up a bit.

Am I the only one that finds these things noisy and inadequate?

They don’t seem to clean well, even on the areas that they do cover and there always seems to be areas that they can’t/won’t cover. I really need my vacuum cleaner to clean.

Now improved with WiFi. But, cleaning is still secondary.

my reason to get one is because i have 2 Cats, and one of them is a really hairy monster :stuck_out_tongue:
well thats more my “excuse” and reason for my wife to not shoot me if it turns up i guess.

others are:

• Lazyness
  • Coolness (and that has got a serious boost with the WiFi module :slight_smile: )
  • Toyness

i have about 80% tiled floor … so it will do a proper job hopefully.
as for the noise, i dont care it works if iam not there anyway.

thats where the WiFi coems in very handy …
if “comming home” is triggered, stop cleaning, back to the dock to shut up and charge :wink:

I would be in for something similar on Neato. My cat clogged up Roobma to the point I had to stop and clear the brushes EVERY SINGLE TIME IT RAN. Faster to just vacuum the room myself. The Roomba now patrols the garage and patio.

The Neato runs perfect and cat hair doesn’t get tangled - I just have to empty the bin after three or four runs. No more constant maintenance… But no way to remotely trigger the cleaning! Only the onboard scheduler, and that hasn’t worked well for my house. I really want to tell the Neato to run when I set my alarm to Armed Away…

I know this isn’t a Roomba forum, but the answer may influence my purchase of a RooWiFi with the group.

Can anyone comment from experience or research how the Roomba does on a rough stone floor? Is it possible for it to get stuck on a high spot in the floor and not know it sensor-wise, so it wouldn’t reverse or turn to get free again?

I have to breakdown clean my bagless upright vac fairly often, and empty its bin at every room (so I can breakdown clean it less). So I think the regular maintenance on Roomba won’t be too bad (no pets, but I shed).

I contacted Roomba customer support, identifing myself as a software developer and asking about mixing SCI commands (via WiFi) with normal operation.
This was part of their response:

We do not recommend using the SCI commands as that would void the warranty on the Roomba and possibly disable some safety protocols in the robot.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:11, topic:175731”]I contacted Roomba customer support, identifing myself as a software developer and asking about mixing SCI commands (via WiFi) with normal operation.
This was part of their response:

We do not recommend using the SCI commands as that would void the warranty on the Roomba and possibly disable some safety protocols in the robot.
[/quote]

Just a blanket response. All we are doing is beginning the “clean” and “dock” sequences. Roomba still employs all built in programming.

You can borrow mine if you want to try it?!

Doe they give you the commands after all ?

Isn’t the command API provided by the roowifi module anyway?