Android location plugin

Has anyone looked into developing an Android location plugin? I know there was some work done with Latitude, now that Google has switched to Device Manager has this been updated? Does it need to be written from scratch?

I’d be willing to donate towards something similar to the iPhone locator plugin.

Someone suggested autolocation which uses Tasker.

• Garrett

I can really recommend using Tasker with the Plugin “AutoLocation”. This plugin makes use of the new “GeoFences” and “Activity Tracker” functionalities provided by google. I tried everything with tasker, including GPS (very high battery usage and unusable indoors), WLAN (just not accurate enough), and Cell Towers (completly unusable, my vera thought I came home when I left a plane a couple hundred kilometers away from home).

I am now using AutoLocation, battery Usage is about 7 percent, but I am sure you can bring this further down. This is very accurate, also indoors. When I leave, I am notified about two meters from my front door that I left home (through Vera Alert), when I come home I get notified when I was home for about 15 seconds.

I have no experience with the iPhone Locator Plugin, so I can’t compare. What would be really interessting in my opinion is if a existing app (like AuthomationHD) would make use of these geofences. :wink:

Oh, that sounds neat. Exactly how did u setup that?
I also want that solution.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

There is a pretty nice video right in the app description which shows how to setup Tasker and AutoLocation:

Then I use simple HTTP Calls to switch a virtual switch on my vera, I shortly described this here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17228.msg133746.html#msg133746
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16410.msg125567.html#msg125567

The URL to set a virtuals switch looks as follows:
/USER/PASSWORD/VERAID/data_request?id=lu_action&DeviceNum=DEVICEID&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VSwitch1&action=SetTarget&newTargetValue=1

Yes, the Latitude plugin would need to be completely rewritten. And if there were no alternatives, I’d probably recommend starting from scratch. But since - I believe - there are alternatives, I’d let let Latitude plugin ride into the sunset.

I’m using a combination of Autolocation and Tasker with Send Intents to Authomation to switch my heating off and back on when I cross a 4.5km perimeter from my house. I’ve also got a narrower one (just a 100m) to arm and disarm motion sensors on IP cameras.
Its working exactly how I hoped however the logic I’m struggling with is more than one person. I could clone the Tasker profiles etc. but thats just going to end up in a fight when one of us is at home and the other goes out?
Any ideas?

I too am using Autolocation and Tasker.
I have manipulated the Virtual Switch plugin to make my own… All code is his. I just changed the icon details and the names of the buttons. I uploaded my icon to make it available.
The only thing I wasn’t able to get right was I have two icons… a colour one and a BW one… for Home and Away… but its alway coloured…

Looks good.

If you post your D_XXXX.json I might be able to help with your icons.

NOTE: That creating a new DeviceID so that you can change the user interface means that most 3rd party apps will not know what to do with this device.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:9, topic:178228”]Looks good.

If you post your D_XXXX.json I might be able to help with your icons.

NOTE: That creating a new DeviceID so that you can change the user interface means that most 3rd party apps will not know what to do with this device.[/quote]
Hey

Yes… I see that now… I cant add this to imperihome but then I realised… I think the only benefit is that it can be used as a visual & trigger in dashboard… I am not sure its useful in 3rd party apps. I also changed the ID cause I didnt want anything I added to effect the VSwitch(s)

I started a separate thread with the files attached cause I didn’t want to hijack this thread.

link to the files

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22783.0.html

There is a plugin in the marketplace that is trying to add this functionality, www.chaosappstore.com. So far it’s just using WiFi detection but it seems like they are still testing out other methods of location detection. Something to keep an eye, it looks promising.

I am in the process of switching from a iPhone with the iphonelocator plugin (and PLEG) to a Samsung S4… so from what i’ve read autolocation and tasker seems to be the way to go. I use my iphonelocator to switch on heating and lights when i come close to the house and also bypass my security sensors. That works fine most of the time when i walk, when i come back home by car it is a bit trickier. What is the experience with autolocation ? Do you have to manually set it to what method of transport you are using, what sort of perimeter are you setting ?
I also would be interested if there are alternarives to that solution

I tried it briefly the other day, setting it up for my wife’s phone and for mine. It worked perfectly, showing we were at home as expected. And showed her still at home after she had been gone for an hour :slight_smile:

Removed it until its more mature :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,

I’m Damian Kelly and I worked on the development of the CHAOS Home Notifier plugin and Android app. These pieces of software are parts of greater system we’re building, which will compliment home automation systems like the Vera.

Clippermiami, I’m sorry to hear that the app didn’t work as expected for you. To minimise battery usage we designed it to monitor changes in WiFi state and send messages to the Vera only when necessary. Hence, when the phone leaves the home it uses the mios severs to send controls. We added the mios server feature based on excellent beta tester feedback. Perhaps you have an earlier version of the app which did not have this feature?

If you do have the newest version of the app, maybe it is that 3g wasn’t activated on the phone? We need to control the Vera via the mios servers when the phone leaves the home. It tries this for up to 15 minutes after the phone leaves the home, to ensure there is enough time for the 3g connection to stabilise. If it hasn’t succeeded in that time it gives up. Perhaps the 3g connection was not reliable on the phone.

Please let me know if you need information to get the app working, or indeed, if you want an updated version to try. I hope I can help you get to the bottom of why the app isn’t working!

Regards,
Damian.

How is the CHAOS Home Notifier plugin and Android app ‘better’ than using Tasker’s built-in location awareness or AutoLocation ?

[quote=“damok6, post:15, topic:178228”]Hi Everyone,

I’m Damian Kelly and I worked on the development of the CHAOS Home Notifier plugin and Android app. These pieces of software are parts of greater system we’re building, which will compliment home automation systems like the Vera.

Clippermiami, I’m sorry to hear that the app didn’t work as expected for you. To minimise battery usage we designed it to monitor changes in WiFi state and send messages to the Vera only when necessary. Hence, when the phone leaves the home it uses the mios severs to send controls. We added the mios server feature based on excellent beta tester feedback. Perhaps you have an earlier version of the app which did not have this feature?

If you do have the newest version of the app, maybe it is that 3g wasn’t activated on the phone? We need to control the Vera via the mios servers when the phone leaves the home. It tries this for up to 15 minutes after the phone leaves the home, to ensure there is enough time for the 3g connection to stabilise. If it hasn’t succeeded in that time it gives up. Perhaps the 3g connection was not reliable on the phone.

Please let me know if you need information to get the app working, or indeed, if you want an updated version to try. I hope I can help you get to the bottom of why the app isn’t working!

Regards,
Damian.[/quote]

Thanks Damian. I picked up the App very early on so it might not have been the latest/greatest. I haven’t had time to revisit it – or anything else for that matter, been traveling for 6 weeks in South America ;D but I’m trying to get back into things so i’ll see if i can get back to it.