Almond+ now live on kickstarter

For those who were interested in the Almond+ the kickstarter page is live.

http://www.securifi.com/almondplus

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037429657/almond-80211ac-touchscreen-wifi-router-smart-home?ref=search

Will be interesting to see how vera integration works when it comes out.

I just got in on it. Here’s my line of thinking…

Worst Case:

• The AC router alone is probably worth the $95 - If it is not what I want/need I could sell it and make my money back.
  • Zigbee - might be able to be used as a Zigbee controller to interface with the Vera (ie, send triggers to Vera)

Best Case:

• Replace Vera all together if the makers put a good focus on Automation.

[quote=“Aaron, post:2, topic:174055”]I just got in on it. Here’s my line of thinking…

• Zigbee - might be able to be used as a Zigbee controller to interface with the Vera (ie, send triggers to Vera)[/quote]

This caught my eye too. Weren’t some of the iris sensors from Lowe’s zigbee? I wanna say I think the cheaper door sensors.
It could open up some possibilities that aren’t there today.

Really interesting product. I hope it does well. I’ll probably sign up & order one myself. Another gadget to add to the pile…

I read the reviews on their original router, the Almond, and the reviews look pretty good. Very interesting that they are able to include all that functionality for such a low price. Makes you wonder what the margins are for the more established router companies!

EDIT: I just made my pledge! Long wait until September, but the product really looks interesting. Can’t wait to dig into it!

I signed up, with similar logic to Aaron (I haven’t bought a router in yrs)

I’ve also asked a few questions about API for extensions, power consumption and overall openness to writing new control points.

I signed up to with the same line of thinking as those posting earlier.

And then I came right over here to let others know, and you all beat me to it! ;D

And TheGadgetGuy is right, September is a long ways away. But it’s under the $100 barrier, so I’ll wait!
After all, I’m still waiting on my Pebble!

[quote=“guessed, post:5, topic:174055”]I signed up, with similar logic to Aaron (I haven’t bought a router in yrs)

I’ve also asked a few questions about API for extensions, power consumption and overall openness to writing new control points.[/quote]

I for one hope they do a few things right instead of a lot of things wrong.

Not being one to be left out, I just joined the party :slight_smile:

Good to see so many like minded individuals. I suspect that come September, there will be a lot of familiar names on Almond’s forums…

I personally do not want router capabilities in my home automation controller. That’s why I do not like the Vera3 and I love the Vera Lite.
Your typical router will not be placed in the middle of the home whereas your HA controller will. Let your router route and let your controller control.

Which brings me to the Vera Plus which has wi-fi built in. Give me a state-of-the-art HA controller which sits smack dab in a central location that talks wi-fi to a state-of-the-art wireless router.

Let’s say the the combination of Vera Plus with a router is $175. The Almond is $100. I’d gladly give up the $75 bucks to be able to switch out either component at will and have best-of-breed for both. And, of course, the interfaces would be much simpler.

One of the noted features of the almond is the repeater mode.
I think you could use it in the center of the home like you say, use it with the touchscreen, use it for a wifi repeater and have your router elsewhere in the house.
All in all it seems like a whole lot of potential for $95.

Agreed. If it bombs as a HA device, it should be a great home router… at a fair price. Given they crossed the 1000 backer mark, in less than 24 hrs, it looks like there a number of people thinking similarly.

If it’s successful as a HA device, and I hope it is, then I look forward to the changes that the extra competition will bring in this space… esp if they focus on stability & mass-market usability.

I’m more than willing to trade off theoretical support for every Z-Wave device if folks can execute successfully on the ones commonly used.

Seems like a small investment in order to push the boundaries of competition a little. Time will tell… 8)

Add me to the list. This is my first kickstarter project to back. I hope they offer some good api and openness for use tweakers out there!

• Garrett

I’m very tempted too, but being UK based, I can’t see them offering a European version?
(Unless I’ve missed something?)

The spec say for both US and EU frequencies. So your on luck but remember additional postage.

I jumped on it yesterday as well, just didn’t think to come here and post! Didn’t realize so many Vera owners would be like me and hope for something that actually works reliably… ;D

Don’t get me wrong on me backing, but I won’t give up on my Vera and MCV. Think of it as another nice integration into my current system.

• Garrett

Just joined the party as well ;D

Just received an email from Almond + Team, as others who ordered Almond + should have, that they have started a second pledge to introduce an Austrailia/New Zealand/Hong Kong version of the Almond +, due to “an overwhelming response”. Just thought I would post this if there are any members from those countries that might not be aware of this announcement.

Partial email announcement from Almond + Team

“…We have a special update for you. As you will see in our specs, we originally offered Z-Wave support only for the US and European bands. But now we are getting a ton of interest from folks in Australia and Hong Kong. The tricky thing with Z-Wave is that they have 3 physically different filters depending on which band it is - US (908.42MHz) or Europe (868.42MHz) or Australia/New Zealand/HongKong (919.82/921.42MHz).”

I can post the full email announcements (#1 and #2) that I received, or maybe one of the other early purchasers, if it is appropriate.

Mark

I’m in as well. My existing N router is getting long in the tooth–won’t even support dual-band or guest networks, so the AC upgrade alone is worth the money.

As of this post, pledges are up to about $170,000 (67% funded).