Alexa Says Hub Not Responding

I signed up for the Alexa Beta. It installed the Vera skill. I discovered all the Vera devices using Alexa’s Smart Home and Discover but when Alexa is asked to turn on/off a light says the hub the device is connected to does not respond.

Any suggestions?

that is one of the problems of the plug in, a lot of people are facing the same problem. i spent a looooong time with the support, at the end they tell you its an internet connection problem.
the real problem is not the internet speed or quality, the problem is the way they designed the plug in, when you ask Alexa the order will go to alexa servers then to Vera servers then to your local vera and your Alexa, which is taking obviously very loooong time, the proper way is to communicate locally like Philips Hue.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Very disappointing though. I hope they are going to change the architecture.

So… just it takes too long and times out? Bad design?

I see that there is allot of discussing of people who did get it to work. What can be done if it’s saying hub is not responding?

Hi there,

There is no, one way or another, we could follow to make things easier and/or faster. Plugin is developed based on Amazon API strict requirement and with their full support, in order for us to pass the certification.

In regards to this issue. I know that some customers got over it, by simply going on 1) Vera dashboard ->Apps ->My apps-> click on Amazon Alexa Helper plugin, and then → Update. Give it 1 minute for the files to update. 2) Then go again to the Alexa device management home.getvera.com → login → before connecting to the unit, click on the drop down menu in the top right corner → Manage Alexa → Select all the desired devices again and press → Finish. 3) Go to [url=http://alexa.amazon.com/]http://alexa.amazon.com/[/url] → Forget, and discover devices again.

Check if things are working now.

I tried everything posted and restarted my Vera and it still says hub not responding and has for days… anything else to try?

Alexa app works fine, but voice control tells me the hub is not responding. Do i need to open a ticket with Amazon?

@rwalker, I see you have an existing ticket with us on a different topic. Please open one on this matter as well.

Same issue here. Especially after the last Vera update, Alexa continually says the hub is not responding. Alexa with Vera is SO unreliable. It will start and stop working for no reason at all :\ Very disappointed.

If you ask me, I would say that Vera might have some communication issues with the cloud service. And I’m sure this is something easily and permanently addressable by our Customer Care team.

Issue is when you switch accounts on an Echo… I tried adding the Vera skill and connecting both accounts, but the other stops working when you do this. Am I missing something? How do you use this in a household?

Thanks,
Roy

Thank you very much for these instructions. I found that my Vera had not installed the Alexa Helper Plugin at all, and that was causing my light switches to report hub not responding. Interestingly, my door lock worked without the Helper Plugin. I ended up installing the Helper Plugin manually, despite the note that said it should be installed through the Alexa setup wizard. And this works like a charm now! I have 5 lights working on Aoetec DSC24 smart switches and 1 light on a GE switch.

Hi there,

There is no, one way or another, we could follow to make things easier and/or faster. Plugin is developed based on Amazon API strict requirement and with their full support, in order for us to pass the certification.

In regards to this issue. I know that some customers got over it, by simply going on 1) Vera dashboard ->Apps ->My apps-> click on Amazon Alexa Helper plugin, and then → Update. Give it 1 minute for the files to update. 2) Then go again to the Alexa device management home.getvera.com → login → before connecting to the unit, click on the drop down menu in the top right corner → Manage Alexa → Select all the desired devices again and press → Finish. 3) Go to [url=http://alexa.amazon.com/]http://alexa.amazon.com/[/url] → Forget, and discover devices again.

Check if things are working now.[/quote]