Aeon Doorbell available @ The Smartest House

I was looking for some extra 6-in-1 sensors when I saw this blog entry along the bottom. I’ve got a Vera3 running 1.5.672 and so I’m not sure it’ll work but, it’s worth a shot.

Maybe I’ll be convinced to go to UI7.

http://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/frontpage/products/aeotec-by-aeon-labs-zw056-z-wave-plus-doorbell-gen-5

https://twitter.com/smartest_house

I just got one yesterday and have been since then trying to pair with my veralite … I tried many times and I get “Failed at: Getting version info” message below the device

I got mine paired but it’s being detected as an “_Appliance Module” and DeviceType “urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:BinaryLight:1”

Looks like I’ve got some work to do to figure out the right device type.

This is on a Vera3 1.5.672

So I got it working with a little help from the following:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27922.45.html

and

https://community.smartthings.com/t/new-aeon-labs-doorbell-need-device-type-help/14924/75

One thing that helped is that even though it’s a doorbell, it’s still just an Aeon Labs siren and a wireless controller/actuator. Going that route here’s how I got it working:

So these are the steps to get it working in UI5 build 672:

Step 1 : Follow steps 1-9 of the link in Step 1a below. For now, ignore everything else in that post. It isn’t needed right now.
Step 1a: Link “http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27922.msg215643.html#msg215643
Step 2 : At this point, your device should be recognized as an “_Appliance Module”. This is fine
Step 3 : Configure the device and click the Advanced tab. Change the following:
device_type to: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:Siren:1
device_file to: D_Siren1.xml
Step 4 : Click the Device Options tab and add the following parameters:
80 1 byte dec value = 1
Step 5 : Rename the device and add to whichever room you wish
Step 6 : Close of and reload
Step 7 : If the wireless remote doesn’t chime the doorbell press and hold the “+” and “-” till it flashes rapidly, actually a left and right arrow on the siren, at the same time. Press the button on the wireless remote to pair to the siren. It is recommended you put the wireless remote on a table and press it so your hand doesn’t interfere with the signal. Once paired the signal works fine.

Done

The value in Step 4 is to let the device’s status be updated in Vera be updated immediately. Basically it turns the siren ON and OFF.

The second link provided above has the different parameters for the siren so you can play! Don’t use the parameters from the first link as they’re for a different version of the Aeon siren.

Thanks to gengen, guys from TheSmartestHouse and those that participated in both threads for the help.

[quote=“helraiser, post:4, topic:189650”]So I got it working with a little help from the following:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27922.45.html

and

https://community.smartthings.com/t/new-aeon-labs-doorbell-need-device-type-help/14924/75

One thing that helped is that even though it’s a doorbell, it’s still just an Aeon Labs siren and a wireless controller/actuator. Going that route here’s how I got it working:

So these are the steps to get it working in UI5 build 672:

Step 1 : Follow steps 1-9 of the link in Step 1a below. For now, ignore everything else in that post. It isn’t needed right now.
Step 1a: Link “http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27922.msg215643.html#msg215643
Step 2 : At this point, your device should be recognized as an “_Appliance Module”. This is fine
Step 3 : Configure the device and click the Advanced tab. Change the following:
device_type to: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:Siren:1
device_file to: D_Siren1.xml
Step 4 : Click the Device Options tab and add the following parameters:
80 1 byte dec value = 1
Step 5 : Rename the device and add to whichever room you wish
Step 6 : Close of and reload
Step 7 : If the wireless remote doesn’t chime the doorbell press and hold the “+” and “-” till it flashes rapidly, actually a left and right arrow on the siren, at the same time. Press the button on the wireless remote to pair to the siren. It is recommended you put the wireless remote on a table and press it so your hand doesn’t interfere with the signal. Once paired the signal works fine.

Done

The value in Step 4 is to let the device’s status be updated in Vera be updated immediately. Basically it turns the siren ON and OFF.

The second link provided above has the different parameters for the siren so you can play! Don’t use the parameters from the first link as they’re for a different version of the Aeon siren.

Thanks to gengen, guys from TheSmartestHouse and those that participated in both threads for the help.[/quote]

I just ordered two of these to replace my non zwave wireless doorbells and I have a question. Have you managed (or do you know if its possible) to use these sirens to function both as a regular doorbell and use different tones for different events? For example: When a door is opened, could I have a play an mp3 I uploaded that says “kitchen door opened”… as well as when the doorbell is pressed have it play a different mp3 that says “front doorbell rang” or something to that nature? I’m also hoping, since I have two, that I can make each “siren” play a sound for either doorbell being pressed. One via the standard functionality of the siren its paired to, and the other via a scene.

Hope those questions make sense!

I don’t see any technical documentation for the doorbell yet. The Siren apparently has 5 sirens that are selectable, but you can’t randomly access them from a scene. Only configure which alarm you want and that’s it. This thing allows storing of multiple .mp3 and .wav or .wmv files (but no mention of max individual or combined file size). Instructions say that selecting which file plays can be done with the volume buttons exactly like the siren, presumably through attributes in Vera also.

I’m not very confident that you will be able to choose which audio plays as a scene. Maybe some funky attribute swapping code that changes the stock sound for every scene activated. Sounds slow and clunky.

No idea at all if you can trigger the doorbell through a scene at all anyway.

Sigh… Yet another slick HA product that almost hits the mark, but leaves you wanting another capability. I keep feeling like I’m Charlie Brown and the HA industry is Lucy holding a football.

Got it to play any of the sounds loaded via a scene using the following luup code:

luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘x’,Data=‘112 4 6 1 y’},1)

where x is your node id and y is the “ringtone” number to play.

I’ve got it announcing all my door open and lock events and I’m pretty happy with it. It is very very quiet though… I’m hoping to edit the mp3s and increase the volume to hopefully make this more usable… I can barely hear it over the tv as it sits now. I’ll update if I find any more cool stuff to do with it!

If you can select which song to play that would be a major advantage. When we’re away I. Oils have it play my dogs barking. Might need a higher power amp since the dogs are loud.

Too bad they didn’t have it act as an intercom as well. That would have been handy.

Since its Z-Wave Plus it needs a VeraEdge not a VeraLite.

I have been trying to get this device to “work” for almost a week. Thank you to all the forum members that have posted on this topic but it is still a little sparse.

I have a VeraLite running UI5. I have followed the steps provided in the forums but cannot write anything to the receiver unit. I have added the wave_products_user.xml and add both a siren and also the doorbell device found here:http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/827

This is the code i added inside the proper containers:

I understand that this device is basically their siren with a wireless, proprietary trigger button. I am getting the same error others are getting, “failed to get version.” When i try to configure the device from either the “device options” tab of the UI5 interface OR create a scene with the following code in an attempt to manually configure parameter 80:
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘23’,Data=‘112 4 80 1 1’},1)
I then get an error “failed to configure device.”
I can hit the siren though using parameter 6 though. so i can make the siren work just fine. What i cannot do it use the doorbell in a scene. Does anyone have some pointers or was in mistaken in reading that others have successfully configured this device on a VeraLite UI5? Also, I have yet to find a replacement device. Does anyone have a recommendation on a device that will work in the event that i cannot with the aeon labs doorbell.

Also to note, I do not currently have a doorbell so I am trying to avoid wiring up a traditional bell with a relay and a wave I/O device to hack this together.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

dead thread? is no one else having issues anymore? Posting this in the hopes of bumping the thread. I’ll have to return the product soon if i cannot get it working.

I’d love to help, but I’m on UI7 and really didn’t have any issues like you are talking about. I know recommending to move to UI7 is a hated response, so I won’t even attempt to suggest that. It you want me to post any of the xml stuff I’m using, just let me know.

From the number of UI5 problems being reported on the forum lately, perhaps it’s not such a bad suggestion.

I just got mine today. I’m on UI7, Vera 3
Paired it with no problem. Showed up as an Appliance Module. I modified the device_type, device_file and device_json but then the device disappeared until I rebooted Vera.
After that I just set parameter 80, set up a test scene to turn on a light when the doorbell was pressed and surprise. It worked.
I even got jhanson999’s code to work to play any arbitrary file.

The only problem I have is that the doorbell button only works about half the time I press it. I usually have to press it several times to get the doorbell to activate.
Maybe it came with a low battery. I’ll work that out with Aeotec support. I plan to trigger it by motion sensor anyway.

Update: I figured out the button problem. It’s a design flaw with the battery contacts. The battery wasn’t making good contact with the negative pad on the board.
Since the button is directly over the battery, if you press hard enough, it pressed the board into the battery which made the connection and the bell rang. But it wasn’t consistent and you had to press hard and hold it for a second.
After some testing and troubleshooting I added a dab of solder to the negative contact pad on the board and it started working reliably.

I have a minor problem with the way the doorbell button works though and I’m not sure this is normal.
Whenever I press the button to ring the doorbell, I have to press it twice.
The first press does nothing, but additional presses light up the button and ring the bell. If I repeatedly press the button within 5 seconds, it rings the bell every time.
However, if I wait 7 seconds, the next press does nothing and I have to press again within a few seconds to ring the bell.

It seems that the button goes to sleep after 7 seconds. Probably to save the battery. The first press only wakes up the transmitter and additional presses ring the bell.
Is this the normal behavior for this unit?
It seems to me that the normal expectation for a visitor ringing my bell is that it will ring on the first press and that they would not press it again within 6-7 seconds.

Some additional information I found on https://community.smartthings.com/t/aeon-doorbell-type-beta/28889 and http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/827

Parameter 2, Size 1, Set the repetitions for playing doorbell ringtone.
This was helpful since it defaults to repeating the sound twice. Setting this to 1 successfully stopped that.
Parameter 5, Size 1, Set the default doorbell ringtone
Parameter 8, Size 1, Set the volume of ringtone

I did find that playing a tone will set off the trigger for the doorbell so it’s helpful to disable notifications before playing a tone and re-enabling them after.
l[font=courier]uup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 80 1 0’},1) – Disable send notification
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 6 1 7’},1) – Play tone 7
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 80 1 2’},1) – Enable send notification[/font]
This seems to work fine. The doorbell scene is not triggered when I run this but if I press the button immediately after it is.

I thought I should be able to adjust the volume before playing a tone by using parameter 8 but it doesn’t seem to work.
This Does Not work at all. No tone plays.
[font=courier]luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 8 1 3’},1)
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 6 1 7’},1)
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 8 1 10’},1)[/font]
I even tried an 8 second time delay between setting the volume and playing the tone but still can’t get it to work.
Maybe I’ll just have to edit the MP3 files to make some louder than others.

Yeah, I actually pulled the mp3 files off the device, then used Audacity (free) to increase the volume and put them back on. Works great!

[quote=“jhanson999, post:15, topic:189650”]Yeah, I actually pulled the mp3 files off the device, then used Audacity (free) to increase the volume and put them back on. Works great![/quote]Yeah. I tried that but still find it’s not really loud enough for some of the shorter ring tones I’m trying.

I added some other various chime noises and plan to play different ones for different motion detectors or door sensors.
So far I just have the motion detector on the front porch playing a different tone than the doorbell button.

My daughter didn’t like the red alert klaxon I was testing with but the more pleasant door chime sound I can’t hear from the bedroom.
I probably just need to get it to repeat a few times to make it more noticeable.

Working out the bugs with this new doorbell.
Letting the cat out early in the morning was tripping the motion detector on the porch and ringing the bell, not to mention that it’s pointless for the bell to ring when we’re leaving the house.
So I added this bit of code to the motion sensor scene to check if we have just unlocked the front door.

[font=courier]local dID = 26 – Front Door Lock Device ID
local period = 120 – Time in seconds to abort after unlocking the front door
local Dlocked, Tlocked = luup.variable_get(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DoorLock1”,“Status”,dID)
local Ulocked = tonumber (Tlocked) – (put time unlocked into number variable Ulocked)
local tDiff = os.difftime (os.time(), Ulocked) – (compare time unlocked with current time.)
– luup.log(“Locked=” … Dlocked … " @=" … lastTrip … " Time=" … os.time() … " Diff=" … tDiff) – Log data for debug

if (Dlocked == “0”) then – (If not currently locked continue)
if tDiff <= period then – (time unlocked <= x seconds ago?)
return false
end
end

luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 2 1 2’},1) – Set repeat to 2
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 6 1 2’},1) – Play sound #2
luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘64’,Data=‘112 4 2 1 1’},1) – Set repeat back to 1[/font]

Hi Everyone, can anyone help me with a LUA Code that would make Aeon Doorbell chime repeats ringtone every 15mins until the triggered device returned to it normal state. For example: when a door sensor is tripped, the doorbell chime repeats a ringtone every 15mins and stop when the door sensor is armed again.
Thanks guys