Advice please for devices that are far away ??

Hi

I have a problem, I bought a door contact Sensor and a Siren for my garage, however now I have installed these devices in the garage they are no longer working properly. My garage is some distance from the house. I knew I was taking a risk and that they might not work due to the distance.

With regard to the door contact sensor I can still arm/disarm the sensor from Vera UI and it appears to change its state. However when the garage door is opened the door sensor is now not running the scene that is setup as a trigger, I can only assume the sensors signal is not strong enough to reach back to Vera.

Also the Siren device is now not working at all, Vera is now unable to turn on or off the siren and I get an error: Transmit failed with code 1

The way I had it setup during testing the devices in the house was that, if the door sensor is tripped, this would run a scene, within this scene the siren was turned on and some lights in the house were also turned on. This all worked great during testing but now the devices are located in the garage its stopped working.

One possible option I have? is to directly associate the two devices together i.e the Door sensor and siren and if the sensor is tripped it sends a signal to the siren to turn on. So its not done in Vera but directly on these two devices. I imagine this would work and get the siren to come on when the door is opened. But if the door sensor cannot send any notification signal back to Vera to do other stuff, then I guess there is no point in having Z-wave enabled door sensor / siren in the garage.

Are there any things I can do to diagnose or improve the signals ? Any other suggestions? before I turn them in to a house alarm for the patio window instead and look for another alarm solution for the garage.

Thanks

Hi cw-kid

Can you talk about how far the garage is from the house (and vera)?

What UI are you running and what is your vera hardware?

Don

Looking at the user manuals it says:

Door Contact Sensor: Range Minimum 30 m line of sight

Siren: Operating Range Up to 30 meters line of sight (indoor)

I’m not sure exactly how far away the garage is? I would guess roughly pacing it out its about 28-30 metres.

I am running VeraLite on v 1.5.408

The neighbours can be seen on the two screen shots.

Are these neighbour numbers, Device # or ID numbers of the other devices ?

How do I tell what they are?

Thanks

Maybe its just too far away! :frowning:

I used an online Google Map point to point distance calculator, it says its 38 metres.

I’ve setup the Door Sensor with an Association Group 2 and added in the Siren. Now when I break the door contact the siren goes off. However one thing I am not sure about In Vera UI the Door contact sensor was set to Bypass, when I broke the contact the siren went off anyways. I would only want the siren to go off when the sensor is armed.

This doesn’t seem to be working now I have switched to turning on the siren using Group 2 Association instead of turning on the siren in a Vera scene which is how I had it setup previously. Is that normal? If so whenever I opened the garage door the siren would go off and I’d have no way to turn it off.

Thanks

Group associations are done without VERA intervention … they are device to device … that’s why they are faster.
Associations only know about Trip/NoTrip
The concept of “Armed” is a Vera concept.
Vera allows defining triggers for scenes based on the Trip/NotTrip and Arm/NotArmed status

To improve distance you might try to put a ZWave Switch as close as possible in the house and garage and see if they will route the various requests.

[quote=“cw-kid, post:4, topic:172756”]Are these neighbour numbers, Device # or ID numbers of the other devices ?

How do I tell what they are?[/quote]

The Neighbors list will be the Node number designation of the devices that are close by. This corresponds to the ‘altid’ value listed in the device’s Advanced tab (or as ID on the settings tab).

I’m not sure of any ‘easy’ way of getting Node ID listings. There was a plugin once called LSI System Information. This would provide a report on devices. One of the handy things it had was listing devices by Node ID and capabilities (Beam capable, etc.). The author (Ap15e) left and discontinues support for the plugin. :cry:

Thanks for the explanations that all makes sense now.

I just tested this Everspring HSM02 door contact sensors range outside the house. I setup a trigger on the Lounge Lights On scene. When I walk about out side breaking the contacts on the door sensor the door sensors signal back to Vera to turn the lights on only works from a distance of about 5 metres outside the front door of the house. So no way it will work from down at the garage.

I have no way of installing another Z-WAVE switch in between the house and the garage.

Only other possible option is a new door contact sensor? One with a larger more powerful signal back to the house / Vera. I have no idea if any such devices exist.

Anyone have experience with a door contact sensor and long distances away from the Vera box ?

Thanks

Z-wave Door sensors have poor range, there is no way they can make it over that distance, not a fat chance. The documented range is the max range, which assumes you are on an open field with no walls or obstacles, so, in reality, it’s much less than that. You have 2 options:

1. add more intermediary Z-wave nodes that can do “beaming”, the more the better… (you can use Z-wave outdoor modules)
  2. get another Vera to put at the other location, and connect both Veras over wireless LAN or internet (called Bridging, see http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Lite&page=multiple_units )

[quote=“capjay, post:10, topic:172756”]Z-wave Door sensors have poor range, there is no way they can make it over that distance, not a fat chance. The documented range is the max range, which assumes you are on an open field with no walls or obstacles, so, in reality, it’s much less than that. You have 2 options:

1. add more intermediary Z-wave nodes that can do “beaming”, the more the better… (you can use Z-wave outdoor modules)
  2. get another Vera to put at the other location, and connect both Veras over wireless LAN or internet (called Bridging, see http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Lite&page=multiple_units )[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, think I am stuck however, as you can see from the photo the garage is away from the house in a block, there is no electric in the garage. Think I will have to look at a none Z-wave alarm solution for the garage, I saw this on ebay here. You can have two chime / siren boxes. I would have one siren in the garage and one siren in the house to wake us up, this alarm works over much greater distances. Only thing I am not sure about there are no key fobs so not sure how you arm / disarm it? I have asked the seller, it would be 50 quid for this system.

As for the Everspring Siren and Door Contact Sensor think I will reprogram and put them in the house instead and the door sensor on the rear patio window. ::slight_smile:

I have a similar problem. I can add devices to Vera, but once I mount them, they dont’ respond.
I DO have beaming devices in between that are seen at 100% strength by Vera.

Someone needs to explain how to get VERA to configure battery devices that are out of ITS range, but well withing the range of OTHER z-wave plugged in devices. This is strange that Vera has so much trouble with this when every other system doesn’t seem to…

Please help, otherwise I just feel like battery operated z-wave and vera is useless.

Edit: I created a separate thread so we can all understand this better:
[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13525.0.html]
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13525.0.html[/url]