Added 3rd iPhone Locator - Home/Away bouncing all over the place

I can now do 1134km/h in my sleep. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve had 2 locators set up for ages now and it’s been pretty much flawless. Since adding a 3rd however, I’m now getting serious problems with Home/Away false triggers. This occurs when there’s 1, 2 or 3 of the iPhones at home.

Every possibility I’m doing something dumb, but hopefully that’s fixable.

Vera 3 latest UI7 release.
iPhone Locator v2.32
Direct polling, using a 0:240,0.1:30,3:60,5:90,20:180,40:600,100:1800 map.
0.1 KM home range.

Anyone else experiencing the issue or spot the dumb thing I’ve done?

Thanks,

BlueSmurf.

[quote=“BlueSmurf, post:1, topic:189524”]I can now do 1134km/h in my sleep. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve had 2 locators set up for ages now and it’s been pretty much flawless. Since adding a 3rd however, I’m now getting serious problems with Home/Away false triggers. This occurs when there’s 1, 2 or 3 of the iPhones at home.

Every possibility I’m doing something dumb, but hopefully that’s fixable.

Vera 3 latest UI7 release.
iPhone Locator v2.32
Direct polling, using a 0:240,0.1:30,3:60,5:90,20:180,40:600,100:1800 map.
0.1 KM home range.

Anyone else experiencing the issue or spot the dumb thing I’ve done?

Thanks,

BlueSmurf.[/quote]

Very strange indeed. in that case I recommend you set the IPhoneLocator in DEBUG mode, then restart your VERA and send me the VERA log ( see in FAQ how if you are not sure ) on my private email address.
Question : are the 3 phones in the same apple account, or 3 differents iCloud accounts ?

I have the same issue, too … same plugin version, 3 iphones (on different icloud accounts), but on UI5.

I get “Present” triggers when the polled iphone still shows outside the home range (0.1 statute mile) but on the next polling cycle, the plugin will trigger Away (while the iphone hasn’t moved).

In my case, it seems to happen more when the iphone is connected to a remote wifi network so it might just be bad polling data but I haven’t done any extensive testing on it.

Hi amg0,

Each of the iPhones is on a separate iCloud account.

I’ll set up the debugging now and capture some logs - do you want debug turned on for all 3 of the plugin instances?

BlueSmurf.

*edit - never mind it turns on for all instances anyway. And in true Schrodingers cat fashion, the problem hasn’t occurred now that it’s being observed. :slight_smile:

[quote=“cgray, post:3, topic:189524”]I have the same issue, too … same plugin version, 3 iphones (on different icloud accounts), but on UI5.

I get “Present” triggers when the polled iphone still shows outside the home range (0.1 statute mile) but on the next polling cycle, the plugin will trigger Away (while the iphone hasn’t moved).

In my case, it seems to happen more when the iphone is connected to a remote wifi network so it might just be bad polling data but I haven’t done any extensive testing on it.[/quote]
Same recommendation., turn debug on and send me the logs.
But please clarify the issue scenario step by step

Since turning on Debug I’ve not had a problem with the Home/Away detection.

I’m going to turn it off and see if it comes back.

I was looking at using Ping Sensors to mute the locators when people are at home and on the Wi-Fi. Perhaps an option to add into the Locator plugin directly? Would save multiple instances of Ping and writing scenes/PLEG code.

I have had similar issues in the past. It is not so much an app issue I believe as it is a problem with the way Apple handles your location through GPS.
Mine with only one phone was not all over the place but would locate me somewhere around 2km away from where I am intermittently.When I go to iCloud and try to locate my phone, I understand why. When apple pings the phone it initially centers the point somewhere with a very large range (zone). I noticed that the center of the zone is the address reported by the app. Apple then gradually gets a more and more accurate reading down to a few meters of where the phone really is and this cycle starts again whenever the phone location gets pinged again. I am speculating here that Apple starts getting the location through cell tower triangulation first, then through Wifi and then GPS. The cell tower is the most inaccurate but the fastest, then Wifi, then GPS. If the app pings the phone when iCloud only has the cell tower information, you get exactly the problem you are describing. This problem is very frequent for me when I have wifi off and almost inexistent if my phone wifi is turned on. I added a 1 minute delay in my vera when switching to any mode besides “home” and it fixes the problem giving the app time to ping the phone a second time before my house goes into “away” mode.

For your specific problem. Do you have wifi turned on on the 3rd phone? Also extending the home range may help?

[quote=“anhman, post:7, topic:189524”]I have had similar issues in the past. It is not so much an app issue I believe as it is a problem with the way Apple handles your location through GPS.
Mine with only one phone was not all over the place but would locate me somewhere around 2km away from where I am intermittently.When I go to iCloud and try to locate my phone, I understand why. When apple pings the phone it initially centers the point somewhere with a very large range (zone). I noticed that the center of the zone is the address reported by the app. Apple then gradually gets a more and more accurate reading down to a few meters of where the phone really is and this cycle starts again whenever the phone location gets pinged again. I am speculating here that Apple starts getting the location through cell tower triangulation first, then through Wifi and then GPS. The cell tower is the most inaccurate but the fastest, then Wifi, then GPS. If the app pings the phone when iCloud only has the cell tower information, you get exactly the problem you are describing. This problem is very frequent for me when I have wifi off and almost inexistent if my phone wifi is turned on. I added a 1 minute delay in my vera when switching to any mode besides “home” and it fixes the problem giving the app time to ping the phone a second time before my house goes into “away” mode.

For your specific problem. Do you have wifi turned on on the 3rd phone? Also extending the home range may help?[/quote]
There is also the varialbe LocationExtraInfo which gives the information that iCloud provide and tells us what was the method of localization ( cell, wifi or gps ) and the precision with it

Still having some issues with this, despite muting when people are on the WLAN and adding a bunch of conditions in PLEG to filter out false alarms.

Also, MCV support are suggesting that either PLEG or the iPhone locator are responsible for my Luup restarts every 2 hours and I should uninstall them.

Without them my Vera is useless, so I’d rather try and fix forward. :frowning:

[quote=“BlueSmurf, post:9, topic:189524”]Still having some issues with this, despite muting when people are on the WLAN and adding a bunch of conditions in PLEG to filter out false alarms.

Also, MCV support are suggesting that either PLEG or the iPhone locator are responsible for my Luup restarts every 2 hours and I should uninstall them.

Without them my Vera is useless, so I’d rather try and fix forward. :([/quote]

My daughter will gets her iPhone so Iwill soon have 3 with 3 different iCloud account. I will let you know how it goes. I would suggest unsintalling only one after the other but I doubt, I am heavy user I would have similar problems

I can look at logs in debug mode again if you want. put iphone in DEBUG mode, reload Luup and capture log for 1/2 day then send me the log file via PM and I ll look at it

Hi Amg0,

Still having issues, did you add the third instance and have you experienced it?

I was thinking would it be possible to add a couple of configuration options to the locator plugin that require X number (2 probably) consistent readings before the Present status changes?

So the main issue I have is people at home, it then reports them as 1.3km away, changes to away and the next poll they are back at home. What would be great is to say to the locator - hey, don’t change the status from present to away, until you’ve had 2 consecutive GPS readings outside of the home range. Perhaps better still is to say if current status is present, and a poll result indicates you’re now away, wait 5 or 10 seconds and do a new poll. Only change status is you’re still reported as away (or further away).

You can probably PLEG or Luup something to achieve the same, but I think it would be a great feature to have the extra confirmation option in the plug in itself.

Cheers,

BlueSmurf.

[quote=“BlueSmurf, post:11, topic:189524”]Hi Amg0,

Still having issues, did you add the third instance and have you experienced it?

I was thinking would it be possible to add a couple of configuration options to the locator plugin that require X number (2 probably) consistent readings before the Present status changes?

So the main issue I have is people at home, it then reports them as 1.3km away, changes to away and the next poll they are back at home. What would be great is to say to the locator - hey, don’t change the status from present to away, until you’ve had 2 consecutive GPS readings outside of the home range. Perhaps better still is to say if current status is present, and a poll result indicates you’re now away, wait 5 or 10 seconds and do a new poll. Only change status is you’re still reported as away (or further away).

You can probably PLEG or Luup something to achieve the same, but I think it would be a great feature to have the extra confirmation option in the plug in itself.

Cheers,

BlueSmurf.[/quote]

yes, I have 3 iPhones setup now with 3 different accounts and it works fine
the double call already exists ( PollingExtra variable , Extra polling line on the settings ) but I do not think I wait 5 sec, something I ll look at when time permits