A Novice's Initial Vera Experience

This past weekend I installed Vera in my vacation home, and for z-wave novices and potential Vera buyers who might be monitoring this forum (as I did) before taking the plunge, figured I’d share my experiences thus far.

Day 1 - unpacked Vera, plugged it into my existing router, registered on Findvera.com and immediately downloaded and installed the latest Luup firmeware upgrade. It all went very smoothly. I then paired up my Schlage lock, which after a couple of tries also worked fine. I installed the lock in my back gate and played around with Vera, adding/changing access codes and remotely locking/unlocking - very cool stuff. At this point, I was very impressed.

Day 2 - My Lock was showing “Unlocked” in Vera, and it wasn’t. And when I tried to poll the lock, I was getting a combination of red polling symbols and red power symbols which didn’t make a lot of sense to me. I attempted to remote unlock/lock, and that stopped working. However, I could (and still can) successfully add or remove user codes. Very weird - I posted my issue to the forum over the weekend and it was suggested that my lock might not be close enough to Vera (about 30 feet), but I still always get a green cog, and I can still add/remove user codes. I just can’t seem to remote lock/unlock, and when I manually lock/unlock the lock itself, the change doesn’t register in Vera - it’s always showing “Unlocked”. OK, so now my impression of Vera was a bit less rosey. Then I went to pair & install my HSM100 sensor. It paired fine, but beyond that, it seems like a useless white box on my wall. I can’t figure out how to use it - when it’s “Armed” nothing happens - no notifications, nothing. Perhaps I need to do more to configure it, but from everything I read, tripping the motion sensor should be sending a log entry and/or alert - but nothing. Additionally, the Light sensor and Temperature sensor functions always indicate “off” - not sure why, or how to turn them on. So I was even more frustrated now. Time to give up for the day and go to the pool.

Day 3 - decided to install my Trane thermostat. After some dismantling of my furnace to connect the common wire (much more daunting than dealing with Vera, but I figured it out), I got the thermostat installed and it works beautifully. Paired it up with Vera, and can control the basics, which is all I really need. However, what I immediately noticed is that I cannot (at least, out of the box) control the “Energy Saving Mode” on the thermostat, which is how I prefer to keep the thermostat set when I’m not there. But when you’re in that mode, you can’t change it to normal “run” mode, and vice-versa, through Vera. Your choices are to either turn the system off or on completely, within the current program, or change the setpoints. From what I’ve seen posted in various places on the forum, there is a control function to change the run mode to ESM, but as I’ve stated, I’m a novice, and not to keen on monkeying around with control codes just yet. I’m sure I’ll get braver with Vera, but for now, I’ll stick with the basics.

So that’s it in a nutshell - generally, I’m very pleased with Vera so far, and for what I was really needing (remote control of basics at my weekend home), it delivers perfectly. There are a few glitches and quirks, and I’m hoping over time that firmware upgrades will help with those.

For those of you contemplating a Vera purchase, my recommendation is to go for it, but start small, and be satisfied with just the basics initially. And use this forum! Everyone is very responsive and knowledgeable, and it’s an invaluable resource.

Slackner, if it helps to hear, I think your Out-Of-Box experience fairly well sums up a lot of our experiences with Vera – so much promise, and yet so many potential stumbling blocks along the way to “the promised land.” :slight_smile:

Stick with it! For starters, I believe several knowledgeable users are hot on the heels of that Trane’s functionality, and I foresee Vera learning how to control ESM and other lesser-used “modes and settings.”

Likewise, the wiki (and the Forum) is replete with a growing knowledge base about the Schlage Lock (which I also use). Let me be among the first to remind you that the BE369 deadbolt is not a motorized device, so cannot retract its own deadbolt … but I’m guessing you’re using a handset lock in your setup instead?

It’s widely accepted that Vera’s current (862) firmware should be classified as “betaware” with a number of bug-a-boos / kinks to work out. You are certainly not the first to mention the Schlage status SNAFU, and MCV folks are aware of this issue. Bear in mind that the Vera-to-lock range should be thought of in two parts: Distance Vera’s signal (which is arguably stronger) travels TO the lock, and distance FROM the lock (which lives inside a metal shield and - despite Schlage’s documentation - fares better being closer) to Vera.

Lastly, in case you haven’t yet caught wind of the “encrypted” nature of Vera-to-Lock communications, see Point #4 under: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Schlage_Lock#Secure_Z-Wave_Devices_Explained

If beaming distance remains an issue in your setup, it might pay to place a Homepro ZDP-100 or Schlage RP-200 Lamp Module halfway between Vera and your lock, as per the above wiki, since no other “endpoints” will convey encrypted commands through your mesh network.

Hope this feedback helps and doesn’t cover territory you’ve already tried!
Good luck, and keep everyone posted with your progress.

LibraSun - thanks for the tip. I will get a ZDP100 lamp module to try and improve the signal between the Schlage lock (and yes, I have the lever, not the bolt). I’ll plug it into a wall that’s just about halfway between Vera and the back gate where it’s installed. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

LibraSun: Do you know what advantages and disadvantages between Deadbolt and Lever?
I am planning to purchase Schlage LiNK but not sure which model I should choose. Cheers.

I hope my answer won’t make me sound ridiculous… but while shopping for a Schlage LiNK lock, I remained unaware of the distinction between “deadbolt” and “handleset” for WAY too long.

In my mind, I had assumed there was also a model that offered BOTH an electronic deadbolt AND handleset in one kit. NO! It’s either-or.

(See, I was accustomed to something known as a “mortise lock”, in which the deadbolt indeed interacts with the handle, so that when the deadbolt is set/locked, one cannot even try to move the outside ‘thumbpress’ or knob to retract the latch. I asked Schlage point blank: Will you ever make an elec. replacement for mortise locks … “No!”)

So, it came down to a choice - largely based on looks as well as the anatomy of my current door and lockset. Thank goodness I have a modern door with appropriate spacing (eg. at least 5.5" C-C between deadbolt and latch mechanism), openings and separate deadbolt & latch, so I could choose freely between “just the deadbolt” or “just the latch.”

Sure, I imagine someone somewhere opted for both, so they have to enter a code twice, above and below, but that would be weird and costly.

I opted for the deadbolt. Why?

1. Suited my existing door hardware arrangement … we could only ever LOCK the door using the deadbolt; the handle/latch is always “open” and movable.

2. I liked that the deadbolt does not in fact retract by itself, so our door could never be truly “unlocked” by us remotely (someone would have to be standing there ready to turn the deadbolt knob).

3. Found it for cheap/clearance on eBay at half price WITH the Schlage kit (needed a lamp module anyway, and plan to sell the Bridge).

4. I like that, with the deadbolt, from inside the house, you can visually SEE whether the deadbolt is set/locked (both by the position of the knob inside, as well as by peeking in the ‘crack’ between door and door jamb). This is something I guess I could not visualize as easily with the handleset.

So, that’s my story. While I wonder if Black & Decker will ever come out with their promised Z-Wave lock to rival Schlage’s, I’m really happy with my purchase.

I have also recently jumped into the HA world using Vera as my primary controller. Glad to say I haven’t had nearly as many problems as many of the new members have had. I received my box with the newer dongle and everything has been pretty much plug and play.

I did have a question though as far as the Schlage set up, I went with the handleset which basically allows the handle to be turned from the outside when the status is unlocked and when locked the handle turns but doesn’t engage the door mechanism not allowing the door to be opened. (Hope that made sense). Anyway, I am questioning if I add the deadbolt as well, but instead of entering 2 codes, I can set an event to unlock the deadbolt when a code has been entered into the handleset lock. I would think it would be a pretty basic command but didn’t want to invest $199 to try it out.

anyway, this forum has helped me with the basics and definitely made it worth the investment.

thanks for the help.

david

I’m not sure but I don’t think the handleset sends a message to vera when you unlock it with the keypad. When I type my code, the door unlocks for 10sec and then auto-relocks. I wouldn’t think it would be updating vera for a 10sec unlock period. The only way to do what you are saying is for the handleset to notify vera and vera to unlock the deadbolt all before the handleset relocks after 10 seconds…Then again…I could be VERY wroing.

P.S. you could, however, set up an “unlock” scene in Vera that unlocks both locks at once but you would have to have a cell phone with you to activate the scene (or a little remote lol)

You’ll definitely want to check out this thread:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1647.0

MCV (up to this point) wishes to avoid letting Vera unlock doors from scenes and remotes. Currently, the only official unlocking that can be done is through the mobile interface or Vera’s Dashboard.

Yes, there are work-arounds, and I sincerely believe what you want to accomplish CAN be done. But it might involve some trickery.

I’m just sorry Schlage doesn’t make an ‘All-In-One’ lockset with both a deadbolt and handleset that respond to a single code. I sure wanted one myself, but was disheartened when I discovered there’s “no such animal.”

Good luck! Let us all know how it turns out.

The only way to do what you are saying is for the handleset to notify vera and vera to unlock the deadbolt all before the handleset relocks after 10 seconds…

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I currently have the handleset to a scene where I input an unlock code in, lights turn on for 5 minutes and then go back to where they were. Obviously I have a code for daytime and nighttime so my lights aren’t coming on all the time. If the handleset “talks” to the Vera to turn the lights on you would think it can send an unlock code to anything on the network. I think I can get a work around on the 10 second auto re-lock feature by just holding the handset down while waiting for the deadbolt to unlock.

I have read that scenes won’t send unlock codes due to the fact that someone may “impersonate” a remote… liablility sucks sometimes, but the work around should be there to allow the user to determine if they would like the lock to be used by scenes.

Right now I have an old non z-wave keypad as a deadbolt and entering 2 codes in is getting old. I put in the deadbolt code and then the handleset code otherwise I am not quick enough to get the deadbolt unlocked before the handle auto locks (That is where I learned to hold the handle down)

Started to only lock the deadbolt at night.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

So the handleset DOES talk to Vera when using the keypad? That’s an interesting little tidbit of info to know. If you find a workaround for the scene to send a code then let me know please.

I’m assuming that by now you’ve read all about the “Reverse” parameter explained at:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1647.0

And in the Wiki (which I leave as an exercise for those who really, really want to do an end-run around MCV’s official “Scenes Don’t Unlock” policy.)

Yep… definitely an interesting thought however I was leaning towards the drop down in the device menu for the lock allowing for lock/unlock codes to be accepted by scenes.

I think this would be the easiest way to implement the association between the 2 locks and get around the liablility surrounding the “what if” situation someone was able to bypass the lock. Haha… I had a hard enough time just getting them (Vera and the lock) to talk and I had full access to the system, good luck to the hack who really wanted to waste their time trying to get in when the glass window is much easier to “hack” with good swing.

Unless I missed something, why would you need both a deadbolt and a lever (cylindrical lock) on the same door to be electronic? Primarily a mortise lock or an inter-connected lock is for situations where you need to provide one unlock motion from the inside to be able to get out (for fire codes in commercial buildings). When someone from the inside pushed down on the lever it retracts the deadbolt allowing you to open the door. When the door is shut the latch keeps the door shut but until the bolt is thrown the door will not be locked again. You can acomplish basically the same thing minus the one motion by just installing the deadbolt (the best security for a door) as the Link and then a passage lever by Schlage that matches the link lever (for conformity) for the cylindrical lock. When the deadbolt is not thrown the passage leverset keeps the door latched so the wind cant blow it open, push the schlage button and turn the lever to lock the deadbolt.

Scotthay, the last part of what you said describes my setup, and we’re happy with it. Whereas we noticed a B&B using the Schlage handleset (set to Auto-lock) with a keyed deadbolt (which only gets locked between guests). Different strokes…

I once emailed Schlage to ask whether they would EVER consider making a mortise-style LiNK lock - [wishing, wishing] - and the indication was, “No way.” Sad. I feel that could have been a serious market, esp. for someone like Davedecali.

Only issue with that setup is that you cannot really lock the door remotely or have it lock itself, someone has to physically throw the deadbolt. I ended up using a Kwikset deadbolt on one of our doors as I wanted to ensure it could relock itself if left open. Kwickset has a mechanical deadbolt that can be set yo automatically through the deadbolt after 30 seconds if left open. No ZWave, but met the key need of automatically relocking itself.

If it is rental property that you do not live near and you have guests leaving the place unlocked, that would be a problem with the deadbolt. You could let them know they would not be receiving their deposit back if they fail to lock the door behind them and you have to pay someone to go to the property to lock the door after they check out.

Schlage does make electronic mortise locks in their commercial line (expensive), they are not zwave devices however (I have been in the commercial hardware distribution business for many years). My impression of the link line is they have no intention to increase the line as far as locks go and will probably not update it software wise much in the future. It is what it is for the most part.

Agreed, ScottHay. Ironically, it was the Schlage’s innate inability to “lock me out of the house” which made their deadbolt appeal to me. I always want someone physically at the door before any lock/unlock action can be taken. (Plus, I don’t have to worry about Vera ‘accidentally’ unlocking my door while I’m away!)

My first experience with Vera and the Schlage lock were similar. I actually purchased the lock then ordered my Vera. I paired the lock with Vera prior to installing the lock, there devices were about 6 feet apart for the pairing and initial code setup. Once I installed the lock most communication with the my Vera ended. After a little research I purchased a ZDP100 because the wiki said it would act as a relay for the Schlage. I established communication with the ZDP100 and can operate a light successfully but after placing the ZDP100 in 4 different location I am still unable to control the lock through Vera. Like you I have been able to create additional users codes successfully. Locking and unlocking the Schlage from the Vera is random at best. Here is the log:
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 22:25:42
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 22:24:27
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 22:14:23
Device On/Off: ON - 2009-09-12 22:13:08
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 22:12:47
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 22:11:32
Manaul unlock - 2009-09-12 20:37:34
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 20:26:33
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 20:25:18
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 20:19:53
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 20:18:38
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 20:17:56
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 20:16:34
PIN Entered(Matt) - 2009-09-12 06:59:37
I do not know if there is something I need to configure on the ZDP100 to put it in relay mode. One location was 26’ line of sight to the lock, another was 10 feat away but one the second floor above the lock, the third was 25 feet but passed through a metal door, the forth was 20 feet with three dry wal walls between the ZDP100 and the lock.
The other issue that I have yet to solve is if I connect to the Vera locally with my internal IP address, anytime I try to add or delete a user on the lock I get prompted for a password. However, neither my local password to the Vera nor my log in and password to findvera.com will make this log in prompt go away. The only way I can get add or delete a user code on the lock is through findvera.
I have also setup and scene to notify me when the Schlage is Locked, Unlocked or opened with a code. I have gotten one text message the corresponds to the log event for the Manual Unlock.

I am open to any suggestions on how to make this work reliably.

rpspiker
There is no right way to do a wrong thing. <><

You are probably too far away from the lock with the ZDP100, but did you run a heal network yet? I had an RP200 about 10 feet from a lock and was communicating fine with the RP200 (enrolled it close to Vera) but it wasn’t talking to the lock until I did a heal network. Follow the instructions in the wiki for heal network but change the wake up time to 1 min and the stress test to 10 minutes. leave it alone for a while and then come back and try it out. I think there are two versions of those zdp100’s and one of them can relay the encryption for the lock and I think the other can’t, you might look into that as well.

[quote=“rpspiker, post:18, topic:164770”]My first experience with Vera and the Schlage lock were similar. I actually purchased the lock then ordered my Vera. I paired the lock with Vera prior to installing the lock, there devices were about 6 feet apart for the pairing and initial code setup. Once I installed the lock most communication with the my Vera ended. After a little research I purchased a ZDP100 because the wiki said it would act as a relay for the Schlage. I established communication with the ZDP100 and can operate a light successfully but after placing the ZDP100 in 4 different location I am still unable to control the lock through Vera. Like you I have been able to create additional users codes successfully. Locking and unlocking the Schlage from the Vera is random at best. Here is the log:
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 22:25:42
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 22:24:27
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 22:14:23
Device On/Off: ON - 2009-09-12 22:13:08
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 22:12:47
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 22:11:32
Manaul unlock - 2009-09-12 20:37:34
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 20:26:33
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 20:25:18
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 20:19:53
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 20:18:38
event #8: Not responding - 2009-09-12 20:17:56
Device On/Off: OFF - 2009-09-12 20:16:34
PIN Entered(Matt) - 2009-09-12 06:59:37
I do not know if there is something I need to configure on the ZDP100 to put it in relay mode. One location was 26’ line of sight to the lock, another was 10 feat away but one the second floor above the lock, the third was 25 feet but passed through a metal door, the forth was 20 feet with three dry wal walls between the ZDP100 and the lock.
The other issue that I have yet to solve is if I connect to the Vera locally with my internal IP address, anytime I try to add or delete a user on the lock I get prompted for a password. However, neither my local password to the Vera nor my log in and password to findvera.com will make this log in prompt go away. The only way I can get add or delete a user code on the lock is through findvera.
I have also setup and scene to notify me when the Schlage is Locked, Unlocked or opened with a code. I have gotten one text message the corresponds to the log event for the Manual Unlock.

I am open to any suggestions on how to make this work reliably.

rpspiker
There is no right way to do a wrong thing. <><[/quote]

I am feeling really foolish but please tell me how do a heal network. Since you mention settings ( wakeup and stress perameters) I expect to find this in the UI. I have looked in each section of Advanced Setting as well as Devices and and cannot loacate a Heal Network options. I have 1.0.616 firmware and when I go to Advanced Settings → Downloads it says Running Version and Current Version are 1.0.616. While I am having a senior moment, where do I find my Dongle version?
Thanks
rpspiker
There is no right way to do a wrong thing. <><