A new user's Vera experience

After reading the thread from the frustrated “super-users,” I decided to share my “opposite of a super-user” experience as well. If nothing else, maybe Mi Casa Verde can learn from the experience of a new customer to their product, and realize why their product holds little appeal to a broader audience.

I bought the Vera 3 and a bunch of Leviton switches and controllers, thinking that by going with a high-end switch brand, I would make things easier. The minute I opened the Vera box, though, I was in trouble. There was only one little sheet of paper included with the unit, and a quick jaunt over to the supposed “manual,” “wiki,” and “FAQ” made me realize there were absolutely no directions on how to actually start using any of the switches I just purchased (bought from a company that does not accept refunds if you’ve tried to use the product).

Regardless, I wired up all the switches and went to work configuring the Vera unit. First problem: the battery pack was DOA, so I resorted to dragging an extension cord around the house with the Vera plugged in.

Then on to the configuration. The biggest problem? There is no documentation on how anything works, how it works together, and what all the random buttons and fields and settings are in the Vera interface. There’s lots of old, outdated, inaccurate information out there for a small range of products, but accurate, relevant instructions are nonexistent. I searched and searched and posted, and in the end, I cannot even begin to the count the number of hours I’ve spent adding just 8 switches, 2 zone controllers, and one motorized shade to this device. I’ve searched every corner of the internet. I’ve posted on this forum. I’ve created tickets with technical support. And here, a month later, I still do not have a working zone controller.

To all those people that said “Check the [wiki, manual, faq].” Those are the first places I went. The Wiki information on the zone controllers is wickedly out of date, uses terminology obviously not applicable to a Vera 3, and has giant gaps missing (“Click the ‘Add Event’ button for your scene. Choose the event ‘Scene button is pressed’” ← there is no event button, nor is there a “scene button is pressed” option anywhere in my interface!) The manual? Go search for “shade controller” and see what you find. Has no one questioned the absurdity of why there are three separate but zero accurate sources of information for the Vera 3?

And my ticket with tech support? Well for an entire week I would get one (or zero) emails per day with an inane task. “Press button 3.” “Exclude and re-include the controller.” There was no sense of urgency on their part whatsoever, there was no effort to help me, there was zero assistance provided. Their response was that my zone controller was not compatible with Vera and that they know nothing about those switches, so there must be something wrong with them. Um, what? It’s a Leviton VRCZ4, not exactly an uncommon device. The ticket was opened on June 8. It’s now the 21st and it has yet to be fixed. Is that an acceptable resolution time?

What this device needs is to go back to the basics of retailing: Provide your customers with step by step instructions on how to use your product, and support it when it doesn’t work. It doesn’t need a new user interface, it doesn’t need a faster processor, it needs to go back to the square 1 and develop Vera for Dummies.

What this device needs is to go back to the basics of retailing: Provide your customers with step by step instructions on how to use your product, and support it when it doesn't work. It doesn't need a new user interface, it doesn't need a faster processor, it needs to go back to the square 1 and develop Vera for Dummies.

I agree. Vera 2 had a steep learning curve, but at least the GUI was mostly text-based. UI5 is mostly graphical…and confusing. Sometimes it’s like looking at a pictograpgh and trying to understand the steps involved to program a light to come on at a certain time.

MCV has a great and powerful product, if only they could show a new customer how to use it. I hate asking others for help, but this forum is the only hope.

Stella2012 speaks all I want say…in good english …because my english is not so good (I’m brazilian) !
Someone of MCV can says something for us ?

Our official documentation for UI5 is on docs5.mios.com, that’s where every Help link on the interface sends you to. It’s true we don’t have detailed information for many Z-Wave devices because there are over 500 Z-Wave certified devices out there and many of them have different inclusion procedures or different behavior, but we do have detailed information on how to put Vera in include mode and what types of inclusion modes are available and we try to offer specific instructions for most popular devices. Due to the high number of certified z-wave devices, we always recommend to check the devices manual for the exact steps on how to include them into a network.

As for the Leviton controller, we do have instructions on how to include it and program the scenes with it, but in Stella’s case the Leviton controller was not turning on Dimmable lights, only Binary lights. We didn’t say the controller itself is not supported by Vera, or even the light switches. The controller itself was not directly turning on dimmable lights, but was working properly with a binary light and this seemed to be an issue with the leviton controller itself.

We’re constantly trying to improve our documentation and we also plan on creating a few video tutorials that will be easier to understand.

I had a much different experience with Vera. One day I decided that home automation would be a great thing to install in my house, so I ordered a Vera Lite and a few GE switches and outlets.

The Vera (ordered through Amazon.com) arrived with a single sheet “Quick Start Guide” with a brief overview how to connect the Vera to my network and how to add Z-wave devices. It had four instructions to include a device: insert batteries, bring Vera close to the device, press a button on Vera, press a button on the device. Within 5 minutes I had my first switch included in the network and I was able to control both locally and via my iPhone. It was one of the easiest technologies I have added in recent years. Since then I have added another 7 switches and outlets and a Honeywell thermostat.

I have zero programming experience, but with the Apps and the other people in this forum I have been able to do some amazing things. I do agree that the UI is quirky, but the functionality has been rock solid. I love my Vera. The only issue I have had with Vera is my Foscam cameras, but that probably has more to do with the cameras themselves then Vera.

Woohoo! UI5 Documentation! Thank You Daniel. I’d about given up on the documentation as I too ran into the jumbled mess of Ui4/Ui5 documentation and ended up in here.

Granted, there is not much documentation that comes with a Vera, but what comes with it, does suffice to get ones devices added without to many issues. My problem was an existing setup hooked to a GE remote so I ended up deleting all devices from the GE remote. After which Vera and I went on a add device binge. :slight_smile:

It wasn’t until I tried to create scenes and stuff that I ran into the documentation inconsistencies that caused me headaches.
I was able to figure it out but I’ve been in IT for the better part of 30 years in a number of different functions. Which I’m sure gave me an edge.

But it is good to see the UI5 documentation mature and get consistent. Thank you for that!

[quote=“Daniel, post:4, topic:171871”]Our official documentation for UI5 is on docs5.mios.com, that’s where every Help link on the interface sends you to. It’s true we don’t have detailed information for many Z-Wave devices because there are over 500 Z-Wave certified devices out there and many of them have different inclusion procedures or different behavior, but we do have detailed information on how to put Vera in include mode and what types of inclusion modes are available and we try to offer specific instructions for most popular devices. Due to the high number of certified z-wave devices, we always recommend to check the devices manual for the exact steps on how to include them into a network.

As for the Leviton controller, we do have instructions on how to include it and program the scenes with it, but in Stella’s case the Leviton controller was not turning on Dimmable lights, only Binary lights. We didn’t say the controller itself is not supported by Vera, or even the light switches. The controller itself was not directly turning on dimmable lights, but was working properly with a binary light and this seemed to be an issue with the leviton controller itself.

We’re constantly trying to improve our documentation and we also plan on creating a few video tutorials that will be easier to understand.[/quote]

[quote=“Daniel, post:4, topic:171871”]Our official documentation for UI5 is on docs5.mios.com, that’s where every Help link on the interface sends you to. It’s true we don’t have detailed information for many Z-Wave devices because there are over 500 Z-Wave certified devices out there and many of them have different inclusion procedures or different behavior, but we do have detailed information on how to put Vera in include mode and what types of inclusion modes are available and we try to offer specific instructions for most popular devices. Due to the high number of certified z-wave devices, we always recommend to check the devices manual for the exact steps on how to include them into a network.

We’re constantly trying to improve our documentation and we also plan on creating a few video tutorials that will be easier to understand.[/quote]

Daniel - in my one of my first phone calls with Anne she told me that that controller was not compatible with Vera, and that was why it was not working. I don’t just make these things up for fun.

That’s great that you sent along the Mios link that I tried using a hundred times, but to your users, it’s full of generalities and vague “look what we can do!” but no specifics on how to do it, on top of being very poorly organized without any sort of efficient structure. Go look at the “Add Devices” section - all it is is a screenshot of the “Add Devices” section from the Vera dashboard. Now how exactly is that useful for me, if I’m trying to add a device?

In addition, pointing out that your documentation tells me how to put the Vera in inclusion mode is equivalent to telling a 16-year old that the car starts, now figure out the rules, directions, and driving part yourself.

Also, is a 14-day ticket SLA appropriate for your support organization? I know that if my tech support company left a ticket open for 14 days, there’d be an issue. Funny how Leviton answered their phone on my first call, and walked me through manually programming the controller without the Vera immediately, yet I open a ticket with MCV and get one inane email every other day then just have to give up after two weeks of waiting. Oh, and that controller works just fine now, without the Vera.

Glad to see MCV is happy to blame their customers for inability to use their device instead of trying to address the issues presented. I’ll never get back the hours and hours I spent trying to get the dang thing working, but I’ve returned my device, so at this point, good luck to you.

Most of the links in the docs take you to Vera 2 or UI(something less than 5) based pages in the wiki.

The fact that you’re on UI number five and it still works the way it does tells me something is fundamentally wrong over there. The problem with Vera isn’t, and never was that the UI is bad (though UI5 IS bad if you try to use it from a touchscreen… those little corner icons on devices are impossible). The problem is that you expose the underlying architecture of the system through the UI instead of exposing human-friendly tasks. If you want to make a scene controller turn a light on and off, there should be an easy one-step mechanism to do that. If you want to make a motion sensor control a light in a way that you’d expect a $15 dumb motion sensor lamp to work, there should be an easy one-step mechanism to do that. The nitty-gritty details of how Z-wave works should be invisible to users unless they go out of their way looking for them. There should NOT be a one-to-one mapping between your infrastructure objects and your interface objects.

Not only would this give you a low barrier to entry for new users, but it would also make your doc-writer’s life much easier.

Daniel,
One thing MCV does poorly - or not at all - is leverage the best resource they have, the user community. If they simply allowed the Wiki to be updated by users (after initial MVC moderator approval) then many of us would help write documentation.

The above also goes for others things… like design help, etc. Search my posts and you will find several stating how much MCV is missing the boat by not allowing their user community - which has lost some great members lately because MCV ignores the fact they have smart users with many talents that MCV would benefit from using.

@Aaron,

Sounds like you’re interested in writing/updating some wiki pages. Excellent! Users are able to update the wiki. Please create an account, drop me a PM (or post here), and someone will give you access.

It is March, 2015 and I came upon this thread after a search for ‘Vera for Dummies.’ I see that this thread started a couple of years ago. I will assume that the wiki has grown and improved somewhat, but perhaps not enough or I would not have stumbled into this thread with the same frustration expressed by the originator. I think what I need is some theory of operation and an overview of all the software components of a device. The languages may be powerful, but I struggle to find the glue that holds it all together. I look at the wiki and equate it to being thrown into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim, without even having a comprehension nor understanding of water!

This is my experience with Vera. I have a computer/networking background. I have owned 2 vera units. First was a veralite. Do they do tech support or not? the first unit I sent back within a week because it wouldn’t even startup. On the latest unit I have owned it for several months and it has been a constant frustration from the very beginning. The latest issues are getting worse… I have sent them the tech support enabled code now 2 times (over 10 days ago) and still nothing. This Vera3 with UI7 and updates is a piece of crap. It never should have been placed on the market. It is totally unreliable. Since yesterday I have 139 alerts. All devices “not responding” and then “responding” again. Whatever browser I use for minutes at a time I get “Not Responding” It continually adds devices on it own. and timed scenes it fails to run. there is something seriously wrong with the one I have.

Most people that seem upset with no support don’t have a phone… Or they don’t use it to call VERA. Have you called them?

http://getvera.com/support/

Right hand side under “CONTACT SUPPORT” first on a list is a phone number. That’s the best way to get the help you need for this situation. Please post back after your call.