A new Leviton RZCS4 mystery

I’ve had one of these older scene controller working fine for a while with vera lite. Then one of the actions which is triggered through vera stopped functioning, although the main scenes would still work. Finally I noticed - the controller had vanished completely from vera! The remaining functioning scene bits must have been controlled directly between the controller and associated leviton dimmers…

So I spent a while tonight trying to re-add the controller - without much luck. I’ve tried removing and re-adding it so many times that I’m sure it must be in a messed-up state, but here’s what I find…

Adding in full power mode while vera is online - a scene controller appears briefly under “devices”, vera says “busy” and “programming zwave devices” (or similar, you know the message…), then the controller disappears again.

In battery mode - in inclusion mode, putting the controller into programming mode has no visible effect on vera (no flicker of the activity light).
In remove mode, I did get the activity light on vera.

After trying this a few times I restarted vera on the network, to find 7-8 copies of a new controller in the devices panel. None configured successfully. I removed them all again using the trash icon (which I know I’m not “supposed” to do, but this all seems very non-deterministic anyway!)

Reset the controller to factory again, go back to battery inclusion mode, put the controller into program mode - no reaction on veras lights. But shut down anyway and restart on the network. Again I do have a new controller device visible, but it won’t configure - “unable to get any information on node”.

Any ideas what to try next? I suspect the initial disappearance of the controller probably happened at the time of firmware update to 1.5.621, but I can’t be sure.

Thanks!

I have a number of those controllers and they can be difficult to include and program even with a Leviton system.
Did you try resetting the controller (blinking red) after unpairing it but before re-adding to Vera?

“On the 4-Scene controller, press and hold buttons 1 and 3. Wait approximately 5 seconds until the LED turns Amber and then turns solid Red. Release the buttons. The 4-Scene controller is now reset. Once the controller is reset, it will be necessary to Re-Include it to a network before it can be used.”

Did you reset to factory using the button or software only? I’ve found that its best to reset using the physical button once things get really bollixed.

[quote=“jsed, post:2, topic:175244”]I have a number of those controllers and they can be difficult to include and program even with a Leviton system.
Did you try resetting the controller (blinking red) after unpairing it but before re-adding to Vera?

“On the 4-Scene controller, press and hold buttons 1 and 3. Wait approximately 5 seconds until the LED turns Amber and then turns solid Red. Release the buttons. The 4-Scene controller is now reset. Once the controller is reset, it will be necessary to Re-Include it to a network before it can be used.”

Did you reset to factory using the button or software only? I’ve found that its best to reset using the physical button once things get really bollixed.[/quote]

Heh, yes I reset it many many times using the hardware buttons, before each new attempt to add or remove it.

I had slightly hoped it might have come back during the nightly repair, but no such luck.

But actually I did just now resolve this, by restoring the complete vera config (including zwave network) from a backup of about 6 weeks ago. I then had to re-add the misbehaving controller, as it had been reset several times, but vera was then able to configure it successfully. No idea of the cause but it works now. But it’s a bit disturbing that things can apparently get so irreversibly messed up.

There was still one strange thing, in that when I added the controller successfully (vera on battery power), vera never did that little rapid led blinking which it normally does with any other device type. Still, it works so I won’t wonder too hard.

Same thing happened with me as well. Interestingly enough, right after I had added another Jasco wall switch and added it to one of the scenes. Unfortunately, did not do a network backup… not sure why it’s so difficult with leviton, or if there are any comparable alternative products.