A new iPhone app unveiled ... iVera is here!

[quote=“mario23, post:18, topic:165845”]I hope you rethink your stance on Android.
It’s use is growing rapidly in the market. The HTC EVI comes out next month…the first WIMAX phone and that’s just going give Android another boost. There’s already a robust market that’s growing by leaps and bounds every day.

Also, consider that Android and Vera go together well considering the open source nature of both as opposed to Apple.
I just ask that you all conduct some more research on it please.

Thank you[/quote]

+1

Thank you all for your feedback and comments!

iVera has been submitted to Apple’s App Store approval process!

You will be the first ones to know when it is officially available…

iVera … control your house!

Hello everyone,

iVera is now available in the AppStore!!

You can click on the following link: [url=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivera/id373726318?mt=8]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivera/id373726318?mt=8[/url] to be redirected to the AppStore to get your copy or visit the website www.thinkiwi.com to get more information!

Enjoy,
The iVera Team

way to expecive, have tested the beta and love it budt will not pay that much…

I’ll wait for the iPad version, thank you.

Thirty bucks? I though it would be another perk since it seems like it will be alleviating a lot of bandwidth on findvera.com. I was contemplating not buying it if it was $9.99 but for sure not for $30. Not saying it’s not worth it, but too rich for my blood

Compared to the $50 for Square Connect, this is a bargain. Granted it is a lot simpler, but that also makes it much easier to use than SQ. Connect.

It’s going to be really difficult to convince many of us to shell out $30 just to try it out. The iVera folks need to adopt a freemium model like SQ Connect did. For a $0.99 app, I’ll risk trying something that I don’t know I’ll ever use, but there’s no way I’ll risk $30. And I’m a guy who regularly pays $100 for a stupid light switch.

I agree with CMRancho on this one. While I applaud them for creating the nice looking, simple to use IVera App, I won’t be purchasing it at $30 with no option to try it first.

I might feel differently about it if I hadn’t have recently shelled out the $50 for SQ Connect, but I would definitely be hesitant to dive in without the ability to see it in action.

FYI, I don’t thing IVera has anything to do with MCV.

Ah, right you are. Thanks.

I agree with most $30 is too high. I understand that it’s not a huge market and millions of people won’t be buying the app to be able to bring the price to .99 but $30. I can’t believe people would put out $50 for the SQ. That’s just plain nuts. At $10 you may get a whole lot more takers and make more in the long run. I wonder if they based the price off the SQ app and thougt this is much less everyone will buy it. Wrong. Personally I don’t even find the smart phone web page to be that difficult.

[quote=“reiserx, post:32, topic:165845”]I agree with most $30 is too high. I understand that it’s not a huge market and millions of people won’t be buying the app to be able to bring the price to .99 but $30. I can’t believe people would put out $50 for the SQ. That’s just plain nuts. At $10 you may get a whole lot more takers and make more in the long run. I wonder if they based the price off the SQ app and thougt this is much less everyone will buy it. Wrong. Personally I don’t even find the smart phone web page to be that difficult.[/quote]Why is $50 bucks for SQ remote nuts? Its very good value considering the limited market; especially when we spend silly money on other Home Automation items!

Vera is another example where you pay at least 66% of the $300 cost towards software but do you complain there?

I don’t want to detract from this thread too much but they are different products.

If you want simple and easy then go with iVera, or use the smart phone interface and stop comparing it to cheap 99C apps with a bigger target. These developers put a lot of hours into this stuff and there has to be a ROI!

If you want polish, flexibility and extensive setup that any self deserving Universal Remote that would usually have (and cost hundreds of bucks) , then SQ is for you!

I really like both of these apps - iVera for it’s simplicity (I’ve been a beta user) and SQ Remote for its customizability (only used the free local version). But (and this may just be me), I use the apps out of convenience and curiosity and not need. If I need to remotely control Vera while away from home, I’m never far from a computer and findvera.com. Given that, the $30 and $50 pricetags are a bit hard to justify. But I certainly can imagine applications where immediate access to Vera from wherever you are is a necessity and for those, either of these products is a no-brainer.

And while I understand why people want to try before you buy, let me throw my 2 cents in - iVera is an elegant and highly intuitive product that does exactly what it sets out to do.

Do any of you remember back in the 80’s and 90’s how long it would take to program the remotes for your TV/VCR/STEREO?

And now your bitching that it take 30 minutes to setup SQ remote which controls your entire house? ::slight_smile:

Nobody is THAT busy. Program the damn thing during commercials of Fringe. :smiley:

[quote=“markhc, post:35, topic:165845”]Do any of you remember back in the 80’s and 90’s how long it would take to program the remotes for your TV/VCR/STEREO?

And now your bitching that it take 30 minutes to setup SQ remote which controls your entire house? ::slight_smile:

Nobody is THAT busy. Program the damn thing during commercials of Fringe. :D[/quote]That would take some quick editing and multi tasking, I always watch Fringe after recording it and fast forward through the commercials. :slight_smile:

[quote=“mdconnelly, post:34, topic:165845”]I really like both of these apps - iVera for it’s simplicity (I’ve been a beta user) and SQ Remote for its customizability (only used the free local version). But (and this may just be me), I use the apps out of convenience and curiosity and not need. If I need to remotely control Vera while away from home, I’m never far from a computer and findvera.com. Given that, the $30 and $50 pricetags are a bit hard to justify. But I certainly can imagine applications where immediate access to Vera from wherever you are is a necessity and for those, either of these products is a no-brainer.

And while I understand why people want to try before you buy, let me throw my 2 cents in - iVera is an elegant and highly intuitive product that does exactly what it sets out to do. [/quote]

My unsolicited $.02 is, you’re absolutely right. These developers are creating a unique app for a unique product and will likely never make any/much money off them. I bought both apps because I want them both to continue to develop. I don’t think either app is perfect but if no one buys them, the developers will have no reason to improve them. I’ve committed a lot of time and money into my home automation and a bit more to make sure development continues seems like a cheap investment to me.

The smart phone plug-in is fine for beginners, but use it a while and the delays from it not being a native app will start wearing on you.

Lets do the math:
$250 for Vera Software (router is $30-$50)
$50 for SQ Remote software

It seems right in line IMHO, Vera becomes almost unuseable when going through a browser after you have tasted the speed of a native app like SQ Remote. These third-party control app developers should charge twice what they are charging given the amount of work involved and investment on their part. So it is like getting 50% off from the get go. Millionaires pay tens of thousands for the control we are getting in the thousand range. Know a good deal when you see it.

I don’t buy apps, even $3 ones, but I don’t regret buying SQ Remote or similar offerings because they have great value.

I haven’t used iVera, but if it is just a native version of the smart phone plug-in then $30 might be a bit steep. maybe more like $15-$20 just because SQ Remote set the bar for total control and customization for only $50.

You pretty much nailed it Shady.

Unfortunately the devs can’t afford smug marketing teams like Apple, and they create a brilliant app but sell it short for what it is.

What they should do is introduce their apps at $99. Let people get all hot and bothered about the price for two weeks.

Then when the customers are grabbing for the door exit, they use the old “ACT NOW! 50% OFF! APP ONLY $50! LIMITED TIME OFFER!!”

I bet nobody would complain about the $50 price tag

There is something I don’t really understand here… You guys probably paid like me around $300 for VERA. Then some of you paid a couple of hundred for the modules that goes around. Some other paid probably a couple of thousand to make your whole house smart. So what’s the big deal with the $30 for iVera ? I’d really like to understand how you guys think a software should be priced ? You have to remember that there is 1 or more people who wrote the application behind the door. It’s certainly not like something that was written in one night…

It feels like the whole internet is like that now. Everybody wants stuff for free.
I have a board on the side, with over 10,000 active users. It takes ME time to upgrade the softwares, keep the board up to date with the latest breaking news, remove the spammers, answer all the questions from the newbies. Oh, and I pay a dedicated server almost $300/month for it to run. It’s an AD-FREE board, so you don’t have the google crap all over.

Yeah, well… back in december 2008, I chose to have the members pay $5/year.
A couple of hundred people paid, and I received a couple of thousand emails telling me that this was UNACCEPTABLE. You have to be kidding me right ? So under the pressure of those thousand people, I put it back for free, and I still pay the $300/month so THEY can use the information and get their shit working. I’m sure you guys did bitch when the iPhone came out because it was not free…

You see the thing here ? So I think a good idea might have been for ivera to say “The application is $100, and you’ll get it for a limited time for $29.99” then people would not have been bitching.

Let’s make a point here: Do you want to be able to remote control your house from your iphone/ipad , yes or no ? If yes, then stop being cheap and just pay the $30. I did, and I do not regret it. The application is working like a charm, and this is what I am looking for. I don’t want to go on a computer on findvera and look at things. I just want to have ON MY PHONE, anywhere I am under AT&T coverage, the ability to monitor my house.

And remember. As long as vera lives, you’ll probably have iVera. This is an application that you’re going to keep for ever. Do the maths. 5, or even 10 years from now (yeah, cause I plan to live in my brand new house at least 10 years) is like paying 24 cents a month for the app.

Remember that you have free upgrade with it. And as it says on the web site thinkiwi, if you have an unknown module, they’ll work on it for you.

I say stop complaining, and go ahead. The only thing where I would agree is that a free demo app. would be probably a good idea for the people who are not sure. Mr iVera, if you’re listening, just make something with 30 days limit, or something limited to 2 modules and 1 scene. I’m sure you’ll find a compromise.

Thanks for reading my 2 cents, and don’t yell at me. Just talk nicely. Thanks

PS: I have nothing to do with iVera. I’m just a user.